Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

Our Outstanding ACP Students in DECA

Photo Credit: Spring ISD
Photo Credit: Spring ISD

Three members of the sophomore class applied to be part of the Arizona DECA High School Advisory Council. Each was selected to serve on these councils for the year to promote our state DECA program after passing a rigorous application and interview process. DECA, or Distributive Education Clubs of America, is an international organization for pupils attending colleges and high schools. On an annual basis, more than 227,000 students, teacher advisers, Alumni, and professionals worldwide join DECA to help develop the future workforce. DECA is an incredible chance for kids, instructors, schools, and the community. DECA, a powerful instructional component, brings the classroom to life by allowing the teacher-adviser to make learning relevant through educational activities that integrate into classroom instruction, apply knowledge, connect to business, and promote friendly competition. Not only does it serve as a powerful foundational step toward opening new opportunities, but it also encourages everyone to become the best version of themselves. For example, giving back to the community is one of the goals the DECA High School Advisory Council strives to accomplish. At the moment, DECA’s Advisory Council has introduced three new extraordinary and dedicated additions from ACP to their council.  Anika Kulkuri has been appointed as the Team Lead for the Community Service Council. Sophia Buhrman was chosen as the Media Marketer on the Media Relations Council. Lastly, Shubham Gupta was selected to serve as the Financial Council’s Financial Manager.

I had the opportunity to interview one of ACP’s DECA members on the Arizona DECA High School Advisory Council, Anika Kulkuri. She has been in DECA for one year and has competed three times in District, State, and Internationals. Last year, she competed in Principles of Business Management and Administration. This year, she will compete in Project Management, Community Giving, and Human Resources Management. Anika is DECA’s Community Service Council’s Team Lead. I asked her why she likes being a part of DECA, to which she enthusiastically said, “I love competing in DECA and being a member of DECA because of the friendly and congenial environment. Within an hour of being at the internationals, I made myriad friends. Despite being competitive, DECA has a fun and welcoming atmosphere.” The process of what she had to do to gain the position was “firstly, to have confidence in myself. I had to fill out four essay questions and proofread them multiple times. In addition, I had to ensure that I obtained recommendation letters. After rigorous evaluation, I was selected to be on the State Council.” She wanted to do this particular role because she loves “being a leader and helping out! I chose to apply for Team Lead because I wanted to have a more active role in AZ DECA. I especially chose the Community Service Council because I wanted to guarantee that DECA gave back to our community in the best way possible. Helping others as a service is a big part of my everyday life. I believe that being the Team Lead gives me the perfect opportunity to actively ensure that DECA gives back to our community- since our community is what allows us the opportunity to become emerging leaders in DECA.” For inspiration, she looks up to her “friends, family, and my DECA advisor- Ms. Etherington. My friends and family constantly encourage me, and I wouldn’t have made it to internationals without their support and love. My DECA advisor is always there for me when I need help. She makes certain that I have the right tools for success while also being a great listener.” 

Photo Credit: Georgia DECA

Anika’s primary strengths are her “work ethic and team management skills. I make sure to get all my council work done way before the deadline while ensuring that I include and pay attention to my fellow members’ voices. I want to create a fun, welcoming, and encouraging team atmosphere.” I asked what values she thinks this role will require, to which she asserted, “I think being the Team Lead will require passion, dedication, commitment, listening skills, empathy, and a work ethic. Through this, we can build a successful team.” To be successful courageously in this role, she believes “that for our Council to be successful, we’ll need to make sure we’re listening to everyone. By listening to everyone’s voices, we can encourage a wide range of creative ideas on giving back to our community, fundraising for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and working to ensure that DECA is more accessible and equitable. I believe that for our Council to be successful, I’ll need to be a dedicated and passionate team leader. I must do everything in my power to ensure we host meetings promptly, include everyone’s ideas, and raise awareness.”

Photo Credit: Wallpaper-Mania

As a pillar of inspiration and commitment, DECA instills inspiration in a wide range of different people with different backgrounds. Students a part of DECA like Anika expand their knowledge of how the world truly works and are taught life skills, which remain a key to success after high school. DECA cultivates emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for jobs in marketing, finance, hospitality, and leadership in high schools and colleges worldwide. It remains a door that opens more opportunities for determined and devoted students who aim to make the world a better place than it already is. ACP looks forward to seeing these three outstanding sophomores serve in their roles and how they will change the world one step at a time.