Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

Ian Kung: Swimming All American

Ian Kung: Swimming All American

Swimming has been recorded throughout history by the use of cave paintings and books. Common in Rome, the Romans introduced this practice to Britain in 78CE. One of the first Swimming clubs was Upsala Simsällskap, a Swedish club established by Jon Svanberg in 1796.  Swimming as a competitive sport, however, started in England during the 19th century. By 1837, the National Swimming Society was established and swimming was starting to become a popular sport. Today, there are numerous organizations and events dedicated to competitive swimming.

Recently, senior Ian Kung met the criteria for selection to the National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association of America, Inc. All American Team. He explains that he has had an amazing senior year and an incredible four-year journey with ACP’s Swim and Dive. To him, winning this award seems unreal but it will always serve as a reminder of his teammates, coaches, and friends. As for how he believes this will impact his view on swimming as a sport, sharing that “This award has taught me that being a student-athlete, you not only have to focus on being fast in the pool, but also excel academically. I want to let people know that life is full of challenges, but it’s important to remember what you’re working toward.” He feels “genuinely grateful” that his Coach Nelson nominated him for this award. When he heard that he was selected, he “took immense pride in knowing that I could be an All-American student-athlete”.

Ian first got interested in swimming when he was around five years old. Originally, he started to learn how to swim in order to avoid drowning; as time went by, he found myself enjoying competition and improvement. This passion continued into high school for he wanted to challenge himself to become a better swimmer and take part in as well as contribute to high school sports. His favorite part about the sport is “the adrenaline and satisfaction from constant work. Reaching goals and meeting new people will never get old, in the pool or outside.” We are very proud of Ian’s accomplishments and know he will do amazing in whatever he decides to pursue next. An astounding example of a Knight, Ian is someone who strove for the impossible and became extraordinary. Go Knights!