Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

Brad Wu: Independent Inventor Program Invention Convention Finalist

Sophomore Brad Wu was named one of the Independent Inventor Program Invention Convention Finalists. His invention, the Rigid-Elastic Hybrid Finger Exoskeleton Rehabilitation System for Stroke Patients with Motor Impairment (FERS), is a mechanical system that supports the index finger and thumb movement to achieve common hand functions such as grasping objects. It can also be used as a rehabilitation device with a versatile user interface for more training purposes.

He created this invention because he has been noticing that many people, especially seniors, have finger mobility impairment, caused by various reasons. He cites that “Stroke is one common severe disease that can result in the loss of cerebral function, leading to deficits in various areas, including hand/finger mobility. Research shows that approximately 80% of individuals who have experienced a stroke will encounter some degree of motor impairment in their upper limbs. So the idea came to me to create a robotic system to help patients with motor impairment.” Brad elected to take part in the Henry Ford Invention Convention because one of his previous teachers told him about the Henry Invention Convention last December, believing that this was an opportunity to “give it a try and diversify my experience”. The ultimate goal of this invention is to help patients with motor impairment in their daily function and rehabilitation.

Knowing his invention has been selected to represent the Independent inventor program at the RTX ICUSN this year, Brad explains that “I am excited and thankful to know that my project was selected as a finalist. I am looking forward to meeting other motivated inventors, professionals, and judges, and learning from them, having access to the collective knowledge of so many accomplished people.” Students like Brad improve our community by selflessly helping other and we are proud of his accomplishments. Go Knights!