The Everlasting Influence of Serena Williams On ACPHS’s Tennis Team

Picture by Britannica

In the realm of sports, very few people have had such a striking impact and influence like Serena Williams. Grand slam title winner, Serena, has the most titles in the Open Era, making her one of the best tennis players of all time. Raised in Compton, California, Williams struggled with financial challenges, but that did not stop her or her family from committing to succeeding in tennis. She is considered a preeminent tennis player and to many, the greatest athlete of all time, shattering records and dominating on the court. As her involvement in the history of sports became more prominent, she used her popularity to become a steadfast advocate for affordable, quality health care for every mother and newborns. Serena Williams completely changed the course of women’s tennis by her powerful playing style and dedication, making heads turn. Her influence on the world continues to be immeasurable as she positively impacts many aspects of people’s lives by using her status to be an empowering figure to all. 

Picture by Britannica

Serena’s father, Richard Williams, trained her and her older sister, Venus, despite not having any prior knowledge of the sport. Being raised and trained by a dedicated and disciplined figure such as her parents led to Serena living up to her potential and excelling beyond it. In 1991, the Williams family moved to Florida so Serena and Venus could attend a tennis academy. Serena became a professional in 1995, a year after her older sister. Although many believed that Venus would be the first Williams sister to win a Grand Slam singles title, Serena was the one who achieved it, winning the 1999 U.S. Open. Regarded as the best tennis player of all time, Serena has proved worthy of that position by her unwavering commitment, as seen by her 23 Grand Slam singles titles and 367 career wins, among other awards. 

Picture by Vox

I had the opportunity to interview a member of Freshman Tennis, Subha Penmetsa. I asked Subha to describe the impact Serena Williams had on her tennis career, to which she responded, “Serena and her father did not have the resources to pay for coaching and proper equipment. However, she still became one of the best female tennis players of all time. This is because she was driven by her love and passion for the sport. I always try to remind myself that that is one of the most important things necessary to become successful in something; you need to love it and be willing to do whatever it takes to reach your goals.” Serena William is one of the most accomplished and awe-inspiring women in the history of sports. William’s legacy was powered by the sport of tennis, but her perpetual influence to Black women and young girls was just as unfathomable and substantive. She retired from her tennis career in September of 2022. Although that day marked the end of her playing career, her influence on all female athletes serves as a staggering imprint on our generation and the ones to follow. Don’t forget to strive for the impossible and be extraordinary. Go Knights!

To read more about Serena Williams, read https://www.britannica.com/biography/Serena-Williams