The Jazzy and The Razzle Dazzle: Chicago Musical

Photo Credit: RedBubble
Photo Credit: RedBubble

Sizzling with jazz-infused razzle-dazzle, the Chicago musical is a toe-tapping extravaganza that effortlessly blends elegant storytelling, dazzling choreography, and a riveting narrative set against the backdrop of the flamboyant and glamorous Roaring Twenties. Chicago is a Broadway musical that tells the tale of Roxie Hart, a Jazz Age girl who murders her lover and becomes embedded in the corrupt Chicago justice system. As the story goes on, the musical explores themes of fame, deception, and the manipulations of the media. The invigorating musical comes to Arizona College Preparatory High School, brought to us by the talented Fine Arts Department. Leyna Do as Roxie Hart, Allie Streans as Velma Kelly, Ethan Kaufman-Warner, and other people will bring this satirical yet provocative musical to life.

To gain the scope of the behind-the-scenes events that occur in the captivating musical, the theater director, Mr. Bozovich, stated, “Chicago takes place during the roaring 1920s where Roxie Hart wants to be a vaudeville star and will not let anything stand in her way. When she kills the man she is having an affair with because he won’t get her in, she gets sent to prison where her crime is the news of the moment. She meets Billy Flynn, the lawyer, who will hopefully get her acquitted of the crime.” Mr. Bozovich’s favorite part of the musical is the “collaborations and the community that Chicago created and brought together to produce this wonderful musical.” Notwithstanding, it is essential to bring forth the challenges this musical must of brought. As Mr. Bozovich expressed, “bringing three departments together into one seamless show” was the biggest challenge. “This is the first time the band, dancers, and actors have collaborated with this nature.” I asked him why he had chosen this particular play, and he replied, “I chose Chicago because I really wanted to do something that the school hasn’t seen before.” The theater helps us see a different perspective from our own. The characters in the musical will all be brought to life to tell a fascinating story one can never forget.

The impact Mr. Bozovich hopes this production will have for the people who will have the chance to see Chicago is to “have and walk away with a sense that the ACP fine arts department is growing into something amazing! I hope it will show other students that we have something everyone will want to take part in, show people at other schools that we are on the map, and that we are doing great things within the fine arts.” This musical will have a positive on Mr. Bozovich because of the “enjoyment of the show for its simplicity. It’s a straightforward show. I’m still confused about why this show has been running on Broadway for 27 years, but I digress. I think that has to be the biggest impact that Chicago has had on me.” I asked him what exactly made him work in the theater department, to which he responded, “I just love theatre so much! It’s such a great thing to be a part of.” The surprising part that musical audiences will find is the fact that “seeing the live band and seeing that they are playing THE WHOLE SHOW! I think that’s pretty exciting for anyone coming into this show.”

Our ACP students display their determination and utmost devotion in making this musical the best representation of what it truly means to work collectively as a large group. Motivated by a shared love of the performing arts, these students have approached the challenges of creating this dynamic piece of art with a tenacity that never ceases to astound us. We will have the chance to see all their dedication transcend across the stage and their absolute commitment from the beginning to the end, bringing the best possible outcome. As we await the curtain draw, revealing the astounding performances, we recognize the actors’ hard work and never-ending ​​endeavor to strive for the impossible and be extraordinary!