Mr. Bickes: Recipient of Horace Mann Ruler Award

Every month, CUSD administrators and principals meet to honor an executive with the Horace Mann Ruler Award. It allows the district to highlight a specific administrator’s accomplishments, dedication, and the impact they have on their school and community. In November, ACP’s principal, Mr. Bickes, was granted the Horace Mann Ruler Award to credit his strong leadership skills and ability to support and guide the ACP community despite its challenges. 

I had the opportunity to interview Mr. Bickes about the effect of the accolade and how it impacted the ACP community. He stated, “The award centered around the hardships we have experienced this year and is a testament to the whole school working together to overcome challenging times.” Mr. Bickes’ commitment to aiding students and staff at ACP in any way he can demonstrates his genuine care and attention to our school community. His impact on students and employees goes beyond our years at ACP, as his guidance and influence will stay with us even after our time there. His dedication to supporting and helping students is evident as he prepares students for the future and ensures they receive the tools and help they require to reach their full potential. As Mr. Bickes expressed, “I want people to be the best version of themselves, as well as help them accomplish their goals and get them to where they want to be. Whether that is for teachers or students, I want everyone to have the best opportunities they can have while they are at ACP and after they leave as well. My advice to students is to listen to your heart. Despite the challenges or pressures you will face, your heart will never lead you in the wrong direction.”

We must recognize Mr. Bickes’ outstanding contributions to making ACP an enjoyable environment for everyone and thank him for his dedication. I asked Mr. Bickes how he inspires students and staff at ACP, to which he responded, “I strive to be the best person and role model I can be, as well as showing people making mistakes is okay. Always do the best you possibly can. Be better tomorrow than you were today.” Thank you, Mr. Bickes, for your unwavering commitment to bettering our community and guiding us through our journey. Go Knights!