Striking Inspiration In Times of Upheaval

Photo courtesy of Emma Francisco.

At times of uncertainty, the light of inspiration strikes many, leading to the most beautiful exhibits of art. For these inspired students, the East Valley Jewish Community Center and Chandler-Gilbert Community College created an art exhibit that asked East Valley students entering the 7-12th grade to create an artwork that displayed how their lives have been affected by the ongoing pandemic. Emma Francisco, a senior at ACP, joined the competition and received an honorable mention. To find out more about the piece Emma submitted to the “Stuck @ Home, But My Imagination is Free” juried art exhibit, I spoke to Emma and was given the honor to share what I learned with all of you. Without further ado, ACP’s very own Emma Francisco!

Photo courtesy of Emma Francisco.

Q: What was your inspiration for this piece?

A: My inspiration for the piece was emerging out of the major quarantine. I got a job, which threw me into meeting and talking to so many other people. This made me feel a rush of anxiety all over again because I hadn’t interacted with anyone, let alone new people, in the months prior. 

Q: What materials did you use to create this piece?

A: I used everything and anything. I used objects from around my house such as wires, mirrors, frames, paper, etc.

Q: How long did this piece take you?

A: Oh, I don’t know. I didn’t keep count. I was busy with school and work, so I gradually worked on it for a couple months. I wish I had given myself more time.

Q: How did you feel when you found out that you received this honor?

A: I’m really happy that it received an honorable mention because I am proud of it. Overall, I am glad it was noticed or caught someone’s eye.

Q: How has COVID-19 personally impacted you as a student and as a person?

Photo courtesy of Emma Francisco.

A: As a student, COVID has made me more adaptable to different types of learning. I struggle with online, but have found ways to work around it. The same goes for me personally, as I’ve had to be creative in how to spend my time while still talking with friends

Q: Who do you personally look up to as an artist?

A: Someone I look up to is Louis Bourgeois because he always created art that carried such raw emotions.

I would like to congratulate Emma for her accomplishments and thank her for taking the time to share more about her artistic piece. I encourage all Knights to partake in an artistic activity to alleviate stress or capture the historic moment of time that we are living through. As always, don’t forget to strive for the impossible and be extraordinary!