Theater Students and Superior Ratings

On January 20, a number of ACP students attended this year’s Arizona Festival of Theater, each earning a “Superior” rating. This grants them the opportunity to compete this summer at nationals in Bloomington, Indiana. I received the chance to interview one of these students, Joey Boudreax.

He explained that he had to practice and prepare to go up in front of three judges to present a monologue that he had been preparing in his Theatre Company class for this specific event. “I had to practice comedic timing, facial expressions, and body language to gain a perfect score from the judges.” After this hard work, Joey exclaimed that “I feel great! It’s amazing to have hours of hard work pay off in the end and be worth it. For someone who is seeking an acting career in my future, getting Superior really shows I am improving my abilities and it’s really paying off.”

For Joey, his passion for theater first took off in his sophomore year when he participated in the musical Mamma Mia. Furthermore, the performance of the play Clue really showed him the joy of acting. Joey believes he has contributed most to the Knights Theater Company by participating in all of the shows at ACP since the second semester of his freshman year. He noted that “Whether it was acting or the tech part of theater, I really do feel like I have made a good contribution to KTC. Being one of nine Superiors at the Eastern Arizona Festival of Theater also makes me feel good about my contributions.” According to Joey, his favorite part about being a member of the Knights Theater Company is “being able to put together a show with friends to create an amazing and memorable performance and being granted great opportunities such as competing at ASU Gammage.” A fantastic job to all of those including Joey who have truly shown their thespian skills and share that hard work and determination yield amazing outcomes. Go Knights!