ACP Becomes a National Blue Ribbon School

A hush fell over the gym this morning as Mr. Bickes stepped out onto the hardwood floor. All four grades stared at him in silence, wondering what on earth this impromptu assembly could’ve been for.  Smiling peacefully, Mr. Bickes explained that ACP had applied for the National Blue Ribbon School Program, which recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools for their academic excellence.

Dean Mrs. McClure and Assistant Principal Mrs. Osborn with Superintendent Terry Locke.

Together as one, we all watched the U.S. Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, announce the 2019 National Blue Ribbon Schools.

As the video went on and schools in Alaska and Alabama were announced, students sighed in relief as they realized Arizona was coming up quickly and that we wouldn’t have to wait too long. Finally, the first Arizona school appeared on the screen and silence fell through the gym again, as everyone collectively took a deep breath.

The moment of truth had finally come.

Dr. Hester and Ms. Hester both filled out the award application for our school.

As the words “Arizona College Preparatory” materialized on the gym wall, the entire school, staff and students, erupted into thunderous applause. Out of 362 schools nationwide and five in Arizona, ACP received what it rightfully deserved: to become a National Blue Ribbon School.

The award states the diligent work of the teachers, staff, and student communities in constructing safe and welcoming schools where students can learn challenging concepts. Shortly before Thanksgiving, the Department of the Education will celebrate the schools at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.

Schools are recognized in one of the two categories, based off of student scores, student subgroup scores, and graduation rates:

Exemplary High Preforming Schools are among their state’s performing school as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.

Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.

Mr. Bickes and Mrs. Osborn at the end of the assembly.

The application process was taken care of by the wonderful Hester sisters: Dr. and Ms. Hester. They took the time to fill out and then submit the long application before Mr. Bickes finally received the long-awaited news from the program’s director.

All thanks go out to the students and esteemed staff who try their hardest to make our campus one of the best. Being recognized as a Blue Ribbon school is a great honor that we all deserve for our assiduous and meticulous work. Congrats to everyone at ACP for putting in the effort to make this happen. Way to go, Knights!

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html