Recapping Last Week’s Athletic Achievements: September 9-13th

The Boys Cross Country team starting off their race at Ojo Rojo Invitational. Image taken by Morgan N.

ACP’s athletic teams, once again, had an extremely busy and rigorous schedule last week. With our swim team beating a new school record and Varsity Football killing the game with every school they compete with, ACP took up many wins for our school, so let us take a look at each team’s performance:

JV and Varsity Girls’ Badminton

On Tuesday, September 10, the JV and Varsity Girls team unfortunately lost against Mesquite High School with a score of 2-3 and 0-9. But that will never bring them down because they are constantly working hard and getting more experience every day at practice to be stellar at every game. They are going to bounce back stronger than ever when they compete against Casteel High School next week. Good Luck Badminton!

Varsity Football setting the ball. Image taken by Elizabeth Bishop

JV and Varsity Football

On the same day as Badminton, our JV Football team competed against The Odyssey Institute for Advanced and International Studies High School. Only missed by one point, our JV team lost with a score of 35-36. However, on Friday, September 13, Varsity swept The Odyssey Institute off their feet with a whopping score of 34-20. Good job Football!

Freshman, JV, and Varsity Girls Volleyball

Say hello to our first Freshman Girls Volleyball team- this team consists of freshmen and sophomores who are playing on a team for the first time! Our rookies started off their first game at Benjamin Franklin High School and took a huge win with a score of 2-1 (14-25, 25-15, 15-13). But wait, there’s more! The following day, they beat ALA Queen Creek, once again, with a score of 2-0 (25-7, 25-3). A huge congratulations to them, and we can’t wait to see what our new Freshman team has in store for us for the rest of the season. Following the winning streak, JV and Varsity both won their matches against Benjamin Franklin with scores of 2-0 (25-17, 25-17) and 3-0 (25-11, 25-10, 25-14). Unfortunately, on Thursday, September 12, the JV and Varsity teams lost to ALA Queen Creek, the score being 0-2 (19-25, 19-25) and 2-3 (25-20, 25-21, 16-25, 21-25, 6-15). It was definitely a jam-packed week for volleyball, but it never seems to faze them as they will compete against Tanque Verde High School next week.

Varsity Swimming

Next, we have our Varsity swim team who obtained a remarkable win against Seton Catholic, 191-141. The same day, they lost to Scottsdale Prep only by 16 points. On a high note, four boys on the team broke a school record! Ryan Grey, Logan Sylvester, Taylor Smith, and Andrew Kang ran the 400 free relay with a time of 1:45. Congratulations Swim with the astounding record!

Hannah Tsay running as fast as she can to the end. Image taken by Morgan N.

Varsity Cross Country

To end the busy week, on Saturday, September 14, our Boys and Girls Cross Country team participated at the Ojo Rojo Invitational meet and placed exceedingly high. The Boys Cross Country finished in 16th place and the Girls took 9th place. Here is what Zoe Turnbow, a sophomore, had to say about her experience as an athlete on the team, “Cross country is really fun and enjoyable, the meets are the best because we grow as a team, and most of the teamwork we have, comes from there.”

All of ACP sports teams performed extremely well last week, even making history along the way. We wish all teams the best of luck, and Go Knights!