Mrs. Dalton Receives the Outstanding FAFSA Performance Award

ACP’s College and Career Specialist, Mrs. Paula Dalton, has recently been awarded the Outstanding FAFSA Performance Award from the Arizona Commission of Post Secondary Education for the 2018-2019 school year. The award is a prestigious recognition for all Mrs. Dalton has down to aid the students at Erie.

Mrs. Dalton works very hard year-round to help students earn a large amount of money for college. This year she managed to assist over 77% of the students and their families in completing the FAFSA, which happens to be above the district and state average. Mrs. Dalton was kind enough to take some time to explain more about the award and describe her experiences. Here’s what she had to say:

Q: What is the Outstanding FAFSA Performance Award? What does FAFSA stand for?

A: The Arizona Commission for Post Secondary Education recognizes Arizona high schools that have an outstanding FAFSA completion rate. FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The application is available beginning on October 1st during a student’s senior year of high school. Students are encouraged to apply and will usually qualify for one or more of the following; grants, work-study, and loans. The aid is applied to the cost of college and post-secondary tuition.

Q: What did you receive it for?

A: I wasn’t technically the one who received the award. The school received it, but considering I’m one of the counselors who was involved with it, I’m kind of in charge of it. ACP has been recognized by The Arizona Commission for Post Secondary Education for achieving a 77% FAFSA completion rate by our current senior class. The credit truly goes to our seniors who applied.

Q: How did you feel finding out that you won the award?

A: Extremely excited that our school and students are being recognized. I am so proud of our seniors. They are a great group of students that truly want to make the world a better place.

Q: What inspired you to help students and their families with the FAFSA? What’s your motivation?

A: The credit truly goes to our seniors who applied. I consider myself to be the “encourager”. We have several opportunities for families to receive help with FAFSA. We hold an information session at Chandler Center for the Arts in the fall, each high school holds a FAFSA workshop if families need help, and I also meet with student and parents to help answer questions. My motivation is our students! I love their motivation, and I see the great futures that they have ahead of them. I know that they will achieve great things. I love my job, and I love being a part of the ACP family. The college process can be overwhelming, and I want students and parents to know that I am here for them.

Q: What challenges did you face?

A: Having an open-door policy at ACP truly helps to educate our students and parents. They are free to ask questions as often and as much as they need. There were honestly very few challenges.
A quick message to junior parents…. make sure your 2018 taxes are completed prior to October 1st!

Congratulations to Mrs. Dalton for her major success and a huge thank you for taking the time to give us more insight to your accomplishment! Thank you for everything you do for us!