From College Professor to High School Teacher: The Man Who Taught Them All

Already half way through the month of August, ACP students are still adjusting to their new classes. But it’s not just the students who are still getting accustomed to the campus. Many new teachers are trying to get used to their new jobs at our prestigious school. Among them is Kevin Lichty. An English teacher for sophomores and juniors, Mr. Lichty has a very interesting background, which includes multiple universities and our very own ASU. Here’s what he has to say about himself:

Q: Are you from Arizona?

A: I’m not. I’m originally from the Washington D.C. area, so out east. I’ve lived in five different states.  I’ve lived in Maryland, Virginia and the District, Texas, Florida, and now Arizona.

Q: What university did you attend?

A: I’ve attended three. I did my undergraduate at George Mason University, which is in Fairfax, Virginia, and then I did my first Masters degree at Nova Southeastern University, which is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and then I did my MFA in Creative Writing at Arizona State University.

Q: What made you become a teacher?

A: That’s a hard question. I think I just like sharing knowledge, sharing what I’ve learned, sharing what I like, and what I’m passionate about. I also like the sort of workshop environment where we’re all helping each other. You don’t generally get that in an office environment or a corporate environment, if that makes sense.

Q: Why did you choose English?

A: English chose me (he laughed).

Q: I heard that you used to teach at ASU. What was your experience like there?

A: It’s big. I like it. I actually-I’m actually still teaching there so I’m going to be teaching a class starting this Thursday actually, English 101. I like it. I like the challenge, the comradery with the other professors, but it’s a very, very big university, so you also can feel lost sometimes.

Q:  What are you looking forward to for your first year here at ACP?

A: I’m looking forward to getting to know my students better (he laughed again). Yep, that’s probably it.

With his cheerful disposition and riveting stories, Mr. Lichty is no doubt going to be a legend at ACP. We wish you a wonderful first year here at our school and we hope that you decide to stay with us for many years to come.