Tips In Achieving Success from ACP’s English Department

For students, some classes can be easy, and others can be an academic area challenging to tackle. English is one such subject that can either confuse, engage, or, perhaps, just bore students. Everyone has his or her tastes and interests, and there is no shame in preferring one subject over the other. Despite so, becoming successful in English is essential for the maturity of both academic and life skills; therefore, I decided to compile a list of tips from ACP’s English teachers to help students academically achieve in their classes.

Here are a few pointers from Mrs. Patterson (AP Literature), Mr. Rumsey (Honors English 9), and Miss Lindstrom (AP Language) on how to be successful in English:

Mrs. Patterson (pictured on the right):

“It is essential for students to be flexible in their writing styles.  Technique changes from sophomore year to AP Lang, and then to AP Lit.  Although much of the foundation is the same, the focus may change.  Being flexible enables students to become more well-rounded writers.”

Mr. Rumsey (pictured on the left):

“Do your assigned reading.  It is important.  Research says it is the most important homework you can do.  Pick a heavenly spot to read every day. Read at the same time. Establish a routine. Read with your phone off and in the other room.  Read with “deliberate practice.” (Set a goal to improve on and practice that weakness until you get better).

Miss Lindstrom (pictured on bottom, right corner):

“Nothing profound. Applicable to all classes: Pay attention, engage with the conversation, the reading, the activity, and APPLY.”

She also adds, “Here is a little more Miss Lindstrom approach: be mindful (pay attention), be in the moment (be engaged), and be grateful for all you have (apply).”

Whether English is difficult or easy for you, as long as you pay attention to the skills and instruction given by your teachers, integrate what you have learned and apply it to your work, and put in the necessary effort, you can definitely succeed. Continue to be active in your education, and you will progress in school. We believe in you, Knights!