DECA Taking the School by Storm

If you’ve been around the ACP campus, you have definitely heard of DECA. If not, you should probably pay a bit more attention to the announcements. As one of ACP’s newest clubs, DECA has truly left an impact on the school with the large amount of fundraising and advertising they have utilized to grow.

DECA started leaving it’s mark here at ACP when Arizona DECA state officer Mackenzie Hansen (pictured right) introduced the organization to the campus last year. I spoke to Kenzie to learn more about DECA and what it entails.

Q: Can you give a quick rundown on what DECA is for those who don’t know?

A: DECA is a gateway of opportunities that allows members to explore and create innovative solutions and strategies in all future endeavors. Students are exposed to techniques and strategies that apply to everyday life in the business world and are provided with the opportunity to attend endless trips around America and express their knowledge on given scenarios. It’s an organization that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in finance, hospitality, marketing, and management across the world.

Q: What led you to become so passionate about marketing and enterprise?

A: My sister convinced me to join DECA when I was a freshman. I ended up in various marketing classes and found that I enjoyed public speaking & putting my creative energy into business proposals and projects.

Q: How do you see DECA helping you with your the future?

A: The connections I meet through conferences and competition are more than enough to prep me for my future. Myself and so many of my friends involved in DECA have already been offered internships and jobs just because of DECA!

Q: What exactly occurs during a DECA conference?

A: It varies. Typically, there is competition in which the best and the brightest compete to move on to the ultimate goal: the international career development conference. There are options for those who don’t always want to compete as well: leadership workshops along with general workshops on how to prepare for the future.

Q: How was the process of getting selected as a state officer?

A: Strenuous! I didn’t sleep for three days I’m pretty sure. I had to create essays, go through an interview process with the AZ DECA board, spend an entire Saturday campaigning and speaking to hundreds of DECA members, then conclude with a memorized speech in front of 300+ voting delegates.

Q: Finally, why should other students join DECA?

A: DECA opens doors to jobs, helps students have a positive effect on the community, as well as improve their communication, listening, and presentation skills. It also creates networks for friendships with other students around the globe. Students should join DECA simply to better themselves as characters. Oh, and we travel across America too. No big deal.

Overall, DECA has grown immensely over the past two years with the help of Kenzie and the other DECA members, and hopefully you’ll consider joining this amazing program as well!