Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

The Month Of Ramadan: Celebrated By Many ACP Students

Photo Credit: Wallpapers.com
Photo Credit: Wallpapers.com

As the month of February comes to an end, the month of March contains a unique and meaningful floating holiday, and that holiday is known as Ramadan! It is a floating holiday because it shifts approximately ten days earlier each subsequent year. The term Ramadan comes from the Arabic root “ar-ramad,” which means intense heat. Ramadan is an eminent part of the Muslim faith because it is among the Five Pillars of Islam, which include faith, prayer, alms, fasting, and pilgrimage. During the holy month of Ramadan, fasting entails abstaining from food and drink from before the first light of dawn until the setting of the sun. Ramadan is a very noteworthy time for Muslims all over the world. During Ramadan, all Muslims over the age of 10 or 12, with some exceptions, are expected to fast during these special days that are ahead of us.

Photo Credit: CV Wire

This year, Ramadan will be taking its anticipated appearance from the evening of March 10th to April 9th. It takes place on about 29 to 30 respective days. The beginning of fasting starts at the exact moment the sun arises from its horizon. The very early and healthy breakfast eaten during this time is called Suhoor, which means “of the dawn.”  After Suhoor, fasting begins, and Muslims all around the globe refrain from eating and drinking as they go about their normal, daily lives. Once the sunset has arrived, Muslims eat a delectable meal to break their fast, usually among their family or gatherings. This specific meal is called Iftar, meaning breaking of the fast.” Many Muslims break their fast by eating dates. There are two purposes for fasting during Ramadan. The first reason for not eating or drinking every day is because it teaches Muslims self-control. When Muslims learn and grasp the idea of self-control, it leads to the purification of the heart, which brings them into a mindset where they desire nothing except what is good and moral for themselves and most importantly others. Another very important reason for fasting is that it is a reminder to be thankful for all the various blessings we have been given in this world.

After the 30 days of the holy month of Ramadan comes a time of joy and happiness, Eid! Eid marks the end of a month of fasting, as well as religious reflection and prayer. The day begins with a morning prayer, in which a very grand number of Muslims come together. Wearing their best outfits, Muslims from all over the world celebrate this day, which is and always will be a day for Muslims to remember. 

Photo Credit: NPR

Students among the ACP family will be fasting during the month of Ramadan, and it is pertinent to foster an understanding and commitment to include every and all traditions and different religions that are found in this abundant yet diverse school environment. Not only does our diversity define the school in a very positive way, but it also fosters the connections that are bound to be made by the students here at ACP. Go Knights!