Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

ACP’s Victory At NAU

Photo taken by Tiffany Hubler
Photo credit: Tiffany Hubler

Football is way more than just a sport, instead it’s a nationwide phenomenon that brings people together into the captivating games. While some have quite the obsession, others don’t even know the rules of the game. According to St. Bonaventure University, 72% of the population in the United States enjoy football.  Remarkably, this sport goes all the way back to 1823 when William Webb Ellis ran with the ball instead of kicking it during his school game. This evolved the sport into a new way of playing. Football became a very popular sport in the U.S., especially in high schools. Among these high schools, is ACP, where football is taken very seriously by the students who are both playing or just watching. ACP got a remarkable opportunity to play a game of Football against the school, Sports Leadership & Management of Nevada at NAU’s stadium. This took place on Saturday, August 26th. On the first play of the game, our very own #7, Jake Busot, scored. Then, their Academy scored on the kickoff return right after. ACP made a comeback with our starting quarterback running in two rushing touchdowns. The final score was 37-8. Way to go ACP!

Photo credit: Tiffany Hubler

To get a different perspective from a spectator at the game, I interviewed Emery Williams, a cheerleader from ACP’s Spiritline team. Here’s what she had to say about the game, “My favorite part of the event was the team lunch before the game. It was a great way to spend time with all of the team and get ready for the game. The lunch took place in a forest next to the stadium. We also took pictures and as a cheer team, and I feel we have a great bond and are constantly enthusiastic. Since we arrived at the game early, I felt excited and calm as we had time to collect ourselves and feel prepared.”

This was a fantastic opportunity for ACP to demonstrate the talent and dedication of every student. It is a great achievement for our school to show how our school spirit can drive us to achieve our goals. The ACP family could not be prouder of the football team for giving it their all and taking the win. Go Knights!