Abby Hawel: An Influential Member of Theatre

In order to make plays as enjoyable and meticulous as possible, theatre staff work incredibly hard to perfect them and make sure everything is in order. Their duties include managing backstage, helping the actors, seating arrangements, and fixing last-minute problems without making it known to the audience that there are complications. It is essential to recognize the crucial role theatre staff play when it comes to developing every aspect of a production. From costume designers to assistant stage managers, they ensure our experience is positive and memorable, and they make the play come to life. An example of an admirable member of her  theatre club outside of ACP High School is junior Abby Hawel. She is supervising Inspire Theatre’s upcoming play, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” I had the chance to ask Abby what her inspiration to start working in theatre was, to which she responded, “I first got into tech theatre when I saw our school’s production of ‘Mamma Mia.’ I thought about how amazing it would be to see not just the production but also all of the work that everyone puts into it…Being able to connect with the cast and crew for all the hours of rehearsal is the best part of my day.”

Being the assistant stage manager, Abby has to give orders to maintain an organized and fast-paced environment. According to Abby, her position in theatre allows her to enhance her leadership and communication skills. She added, “Being given this opportunity has improved my leadership skills… I am the lead backstage, and I am in charge of all the sets and props. If, for instance, an actor doesn’t set something properly, it is my job to tell them how to do it next time and find a way to fix the problem without disturbing the show or being seen.” Although this position allows Abby to perfect her leadership skills, it also means there is a lot of pressure to conduct an outstanding production. It can be a demanding role since you are responsible for the play running smoothly, as well as fixing issues the actors may encounter.

In a high-pressure environment, it is necessary to relax and enjoy every moment. According to Abby, the cast allows this to happen. She eagerly stated, “I love being able to connect with them and see their personalities on and off stage. Being able to put on a show that is enjoyable and entertaining is also my favorite part about theatre, and I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to do that…I’m looking forward to seeing more people shine and see their faces light up when they step on stage.” The entire ACP family is proud of you, Abby! You inspire us by working hard to make this a memorable experience. We can’t wait to see all of your efforts pay off. Go Knights!