Dia De Los Muertos

National+Geographic
Kenneth Garrett
National Geographic

If you have ever seen the movie Coco, it is an accurate representation of the Day of the Dead. Families do gather around, and while some believe it, if you do not remember the dead, they become forgotten forever. People often see the Day of the Dead as a sad holiday, but it is quite the opposite. Day of The Dead, also known as el Dia de los Muertos, is a holiday that originates from ancient Mesoamerica and is a time to honor those who have died by allowing their legacy to live on. Families in Mexico celebrate and recognize this two-day holiday by creating altars set up in households, attending city parades, visiting their loved ones’ graveyards, and often dancing. Several also decorate their town or houses with papel picado, tissue paper with Mexican art visuals cut into it. Eventually, this commemoration that includes indigenous traditions, was brought to the U.S. in the early 1500s by the Spanish invaders. From the Aztecs, it is believed that by making an altar filled with the departed person’s favorite foods, items, and marigolds, the spirit can return to visit their families during this time. The smell of the food and lit candles are supposed to help guide a path to find their way home.

Day of the Dead is not only a welcoming festivity for spirits, but it also provides a deep sense of community among citizens who live in certain areas. On an altar, the top tier symbolizes divineness and holds a picture of the person who has passed away. On the second tier, one can find the favorite foods, including Pan de Muerto, as they represent the deceased one’s life. Finally, the third tier includes marigolds, a Sugar Skull (a dish made only for the holiday), and candles. It is symbolic of the world of the dead.

Credit to La Verdad Noticias

La Catrina is a skeleton well dressed in vibrant colors and skull makeup, and it symbolizes how the dead see and opens a pathway up for them to the afterlife once they pass. Overall, Dia de los Muertos is a memorable celebration to be a part of. It is the time of the year to recognize family and friends who are no longer with you. In Mexico, the Day of the Dead is recognized more than Halloween. I know I would want to be celebrated on this intriguing holiday.