United States Senate Youth Program

For high school students interested in pursuing careers in public service, the United States Senate sponsors the United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP), a scholarship program and intense week-long educational experience. Juniors and seniors in high school who meet the official requirements of the USSYP for the current school year, 2022–2023, may be eligible to apply based on their current leadership roles

Beginning in early fall, teachers and principals start the process by selecting their most certified students. These students need to show academic interest and knowledge in subjects such as politics, government, and history, as well as hold or, have held office in the student body or another elected/appointed role in their communities.  Each state has its own selection process, but lots of states use a public affairs, government, and history test that is created for the program by a political science professor at a college. States can also require extra essays and/or in-person interviews. By December 1, 2022, the top state school officer in each state will have chosen the two delegates and alternates.

The two delegates from each state then go to Washington to attend Washington Week during the first or second week of March. Delegates will be able to meet and talk to, “senators, the president, a justice of the Supreme Court, cabinet members, federal agency leaders, and senior members of the national media.” The delegates will also receive a $10,000 undergrad college scholarship to any college/university that they want to apply to. This scholarship comes with the encouragement to continue studying government and/or history throughout college.

For students who want to pursue a career as a government official, this program is a great early start. For more information about the program and how to apply, visit https://ussenateyouth.org/. Good luck to all of you who plan to apply! Go, Knights!!!