ACP Alumnus Trevor Booth: Life in College

Trevor Booth (in the middle) with his friends at the Rose Bowl Stadium. Photo by Trevor Booth

One of ACP’s graduates, Trevor Booth had an exciting encounter with the former American professional boxer, Andre Ward. Trevor is a graduate who completed high school in 2017, although some would consider him as a “super, super senior” since he still attended school dances the next two years. He is in his third year working toward a Bachelor of Arts degree in sports journalism at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at ASU.

Not long ago, Trevor had the chance to meet Andre Ward, a former professional boxer, who competed from 2004 to 2017. With a total of 32 fights, 16 wins by KO, Ward has never experienced a loss, which makes him one of the best American boxers. Some of Ward’s top wins were with Sergey Kovalev II, Carl Froch, and Chad Dawson. I asked Trevor a few questions on his opportunity how college his life is, he gladly complied:

Trevor with Andre Ward. Photo by Trevor Booth

Q: How did you get to meet Andre Ward?

A: Prior to last summer, I made a connection with one of my professors at school, and he directed me to a page where I could sign up to cover a professional boxing fight featuring Terence Crawford, who is considered one of the best fighters in the world, and Jeff Horn, who had recently beaten Manny Pacquiao for the WBO Welterweight championship. After getting my credentials approved and contacting some of the media relations people at Top Rank Boxing, I was able to cover the weigh-in on the day before the fight. I believe Andre was on the broadcast team for ESPN that weekend, and he was walking around after each boxer had weighed in, so I just walked up, introduced myself and got the picture. I shared a conversation with him for a few minutes, and it was easily one of the best experiences I’ve had as a student sports journalist.

Q: How is the college life treating you?

A: It’s going well. This semester, I started an internship with Sun Devil Source, which is ASU’s affiliate through a series of networks owned by CBS Digital. People who previously interned there went on to work at places like Sports Illustrated, The Athletic and Bleacher Report, so I’m hoping to follow their footsteps. It’s been pretty busy and now I’ll be covering basketball and football at the same time, but I’m learning a lot and am enjoying the process. I still play lots of sports though, and it’s been great to meet new friends and professionals in my industry.

Q: What do you miss most about ACP?

A: So many things, but above all else, the relationships I built with teachers and friends. To this day, my closest peers are the ones I met and continued to grow with during and after our time at ACP. I come back to visit as often as I can, and I do it because of the attachment I have to the school’s environment. It really is a special place and I’m so thankful that I was able to grow in this community. I hope that I can continue to make this school proud and that it knows it has my full support.

Photo by Trevor Booth

Apart from Trevor’s college life, he recently took a trip to Los Angeles to cover ASU’s football game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl Stadium. Thank you, Trevor, for taking time off of your busy schedule to do this interview. What an amazing opportunity to not only meet Andre Ward, but to go to UCLA to cover the football game. ACP wishes you the best for the next two years at ASU. Good Luck!