Prepping for College 101

For many of us, our high school careers are quickly coming to an end. Graduation is just around the corner for the Class of 2019 and will soon be just as close for the rest of the school.

We all know that colleges require applications, tuition, and scholarships, but have you ever wondered what else must be done? There’s about two months between graduation and the first day of college, so how else can we prepare before this next chapter of our lives begins?

I talked to Class of 2018 graduate, Sarah George (pictured right) to gather more information on what preparing for college entails as she gets ready to attend the University of Arizona this fall.

Q: What was the most unexpected part about preparing for college?

A: As I started preparing for college, I had not previously realized how many resources would be available to me, both before and after I got to campus. I was amazed at all the things the school offered, from a variety of classes to tutoring to on-campus events. There’s also so much help available that I never knew was out there, and it was a huge relief to know there would always be people to answer my questions as I transitioned from high school to college.

Q: Any advice for this year’s graduates and future college attendees?

A: I would tell other students to just take a deep breath. The steps to get to college and the ones following aren’t nearly as hard as you might think.  Also, I would say to take the time to find what you want to do. And if you don’t know that yet, that’s okay too—it’s what college is about!

Q: What was signing up for classes like?

A: Signing up for classes was surprisingly easy; I had a very attentive advisor who helped me through the whole process. And since it’s my first semester, the courses I needed to sign up for were largely predetermined by general education requirements. But even though I was required to enroll in most of my classes, I got to fill some spots with classes that really interested me. There are so many options available that I had trouble choosing!

Q: How did you decide what to bring from home and what to leave behind?

A: I’m staying in the dorms, so bringing all of my belongings is pretty much impossible. As I sorted through my room, I chose to bring the things that will be most useful for me, like things I use for organization or studying. The things I decided to leave behind were things from childhood and high school, which I put in a memory box so I can see them whenever I come home.

Q: Are you excited to finally start attending a university?

A: I’m super excited to start my university! I’m most looking forward to the independence and the self-discovery that comes with going to college. I can’t wait to try new things, make new friends, and experience a whole new side of life.

Remember Knights, college is just a blink of an eye away, so make sure you’re prepared to embark on this exciting yet nerve-wracking ride toward the future!

Photo Credits: https://www.youvisit.com/tour/arizona?id=75543