ACP Seniors Named Flinn Scholarship Finalists

Both of 2017’s Students of the Year are now finalists for the most prestigious scholarship in Arizona.

Add another outstanding achievement to the list. Both of last year’s students of the year, Troy Gilchrist and Erin Broas, have been selected as two of the 40 finalists for the Flinn Scholarship. The Flinn Scholarship is perhaps the most prestigious scholarship in Arizona, awarding an extremely generous to 20 high school seniors who attend one of the 3 state universities. From the Flinn Foundation’s website:

The Flinn Scholarship benefits include:

Image result for flinn foundation

Doesn’t get much better than that!

The duo has just one more cutoff to make it through: an interview which will be taking place in March.

I had the opportunity to sit down with our school’s two finalists and have a fun conversation with them about the Flinn process, their marvelous achievements, and some other more… entertaining subjects. (My annotations are in parenthesis throughout)

On the Flinn Scholarship

Nate: How did you feel about your chances heading into the competition?

Erin: Honestly, I felt like my chances were really low. I walked into the interview thinking this is just for the experience, so that I can go into college interviews better prepared. I genuinely didn’t think I was going to make it to the next round.

Nate: What benefit(s) of the award do you most look forward to?

Troy: Both the internship opportunities and network, which the Flinn Foundation has.

Nate: What college do you two plan to attend if you get the Flinn?

Troy: The University of Arizona; there’s not a better school in Arizona.

Erin: ASU, at the Barrett Honors College.

Nate: Do you have any tips for future applicants?

Troy: Learn how to tell a story. (This is some of the best advice you can get. Story-telling is what will set you apart, Troy is, without a doubt, the best story-teller I know).

Erin: Don’t be afraid of applying.

On What Matters Most

Nate: What achievement/project are you most proud of accomplishing?

Troy: Being able to play in a mariachi group.

Erin: I’m very proud of my commitment to tutoring. I started in my 9th grade year here, tutoring Jr. High students in English. I’ve branched out to teaching children to learn English through the Migrant Education Program, and have also tutored in math, science, and Spanish.

Nate: How many hours would you estimate that you’ve tutored?

Erin: Oh, a few hundred hours. (Wowza!)

Nate: What is a cause you two feel most strongly about?

Troy: One thing I’m definitely passionate about is the lack of financial education that people get. From a young age, people are influenced by marketers and products but aren’t actually taught what money can do for them. They aren’t taught how you can actually give to charities to make an impact instead of just donating randomly. They’re taught to use credit cards… there’s just a whole bunch of misinformation you see right now, especially with colleges.

Erin: For me, I’m passionate about reducing health inequalities in Arizona. It’s all very racially based. There are certain areas of land, especially Native American reservations, which are most concentrated with poverty and housing inequalities. I want to make sure there is enough attention and enough programs in those areas to ensure that across the board; Arizona citizens can have a good quality of life. (This goal fits perfectly with Erin’s planned major, public health)

On the Lighter Side of the Applicants

Nate: What is the funniest joke you know?

Troy: I don’t know any jokes.

Erin: I have a dumb joke! How do you make an octopus giggle ten giggles? You give him ten tickles! (This took me and Troy a few seconds to get. Read it aloud)

Nate: Wow! That one is definitely making the article.

On Being Kidnapped

Nate: Troy, have you ever been kidnapped?

Troy: A long time ago, in the Garfield Hotel. It was very scary. There was this lady who was intoxicated, and she held me back on the elevator! My mom got off, and the lady took me two floors up. The cops came, the guards were called, and no one knew where I was. Somehow, they found me because she left her door open. Then I got ice cream, which was pretty great. During the moment, I was like “I’m kidnapped, I’m being kidnapped, this is very scary.” (Unfortunately, the audio quality wasn’t good enough that I could upload Troy telling the story)

On Battling Each Other

Nate: Who would win in hand-to-hand combat?

Troy: That’s not even a question. Maybe she’d have a chance in dance fighting.

Erin: Me, I can kick Troy.

Nate: What about a battle of wits?

Troy: Erin

Erin: Troy (The two answers were simultaneous)

On Traveling Through Time and Space

Nate: If you can travel back to any time and place that you desire. Where are you going?

Troy: I can go anywhere? Hmm… Ancient Greece.

Erin: Victorian England. I like the way they talk, and I like the way they dress.

Nate: Now you can go anywhere in the world at present day, where are you headed?

Troy: Tuscon, Arizona

Erin: The Philippines.

Good luck to Troy and Erin with their final interview in March; the Flinn Foundation will be lucky to have you guys!