Soccer Win: Varsity Soccer Boys Remain Undefeated

Soccer, also known as football in other countries, is a prevalent and diverting sport filled with history that takes place back to 2,000 years ago. It all commenced when many ancient civilians, such as the Romans, Greeks, and Chinese, played similar ball games. However, it evolved into what it is today in medieval Europe, specifically England when the sport’s name and rules came to be what they are. Now, many schools across the globe incorporate the sport by competing in it and simply playing it. At ACP, our Boys Varsity Soccer team does exactly that.

Over the winter break in 2023, the team competed in the Arizona Soccer Showcase and won. They won their first three games in the Maroon Bracket and won the championship game against ALA-Gilbert North by three points. A member of the team, Biman Chapagai, also a senior at ACP, had a lot to say about this tournament win. When I interviewed Biman, he aforesaid, “This win, being the second tournament win for us this season, serves as a push and motivation for us going into the mid-season. For me and several seniors, it is so much more meaningful since it is our last year and the first time winning the tournament in the three years we have played it.” Biman has been playing soccer for 14 years and has been on the Varsity team for four years, as well. He started playing the sport as it provided a feeling like no other. When Biman is on the ball or in the heat of the game he realizes how phenomenal the culture of soccer truly is. Soccer is not only a universal sport, but it allows players to do what others are not.

Biman believes that dedicating your time and effort to a sport gets your fundamentals almost flawless and sets you apart from the competition. As a member of the team, Biman enjoys the like-mindedness of everybody. All the players are not only hard-working and competitive, but they take the sport very seriously and have a winning mentality when it comes to the game. Biman and the team hope to win state this season and be one of the first, big sports to bring home a trophy for ACP’s sports cabinet. He also aims to leave a positive and uplifting legacy on the underclassmen, upon graduation. 

ACP’s team is proof of a hard-working, talented, and dedicated group of players. Biman has one last thing to say, “As a team, we need to focus on going forward at this pace. We all make up the wonderful team that it is, and we need to work harder than ever.” Alongside Biman, all the players of Varsity Soccer put forth their best effort to improve their performance with every game. This is why they are ranked 2nd in 4a and number 9 in the entire state of Arizona. The whole team is tenacious and ready for more. Go Knights!