ACP Girls Basketball: The Start of An Exuberant Season

Among the sedulous sports teams here at ACP is the astounding Girls’ Basketball team. The group is optimistic and supportive, and they can always turn to each other for help on and off the court to work cohesively and be successful. There is proof of this at all of their games, specifically their game on 11/28 against Barry Goldwater. The team felt ebullient knowing that everyone played an important role during that game and was able to showcase their skills. Coming from a tough loss to Flagstaff, winning that game gave the athletes confidence and set a precedent for this season. The win shows how victorious the team can be when working together and cooperating. It also sets the tone and momentum for the rest of the season.

I had the jubilant opportunity to interview Victoria Jagdon, a player on the Varsity team. Victoria began her proclivity for basketball in the fifth grade when she chose to play it just for fun because of her friends. However, once she began to play more often, she realized that she enjoyed the sport as it taught her discipline, teamwork, and perseverance. She explained, “What I like most about our season is playing teams with different skill sets and strengths. We get to see a variety of teams and talent, and playing wondrous teams is always fun because they challenge you. I also love seeing how our team will improve throughout the season, and I see our team chemistry build throughout the season.” The team is very close, as shown with unity throughout the program, from frosh to varsity. The team finds ways to come together by having fun and bringing energy. You can also see the hard work and time that the team puts in, not only during practice, but even after to work on their skills. As a part of the team, she hopes to make it to the playoffs this year and hopefully win as many games as possible. As they made it to the first round of the playoffs last year, they hope to get even further this year.

As Victoria continues playing basketball for ACP, she notices the camaraderie between the players and the coaches who continuously work to help the girls improve and look out for them outside of basketball. If you are a high schooler interested in pursuing basketball, take it from Victoria when she states, “Just try it, have fun, and do not be afraid to ask questions from your teammates. Our teammates are looking out for each other by building each other up. You will make lasting friendships and create tight bonds. No matter where you are with your experience in basketball, you should go for it and make the most of the season.”

Ultimately, the bond between the team makes the season so phenomenal. The girls will continue to compete with their adept effort, passion, and dedication, setting an example for tenacious student-athletes. They will continue to do so for many years to come. Go Knights!