CUSD’s Chopped Challenge, Chili Cookoff, and Cookie Competition

CUSDs Chopped Challenge, Chili Cookoff, and Cookie Competition

Cooking and baking are amazing skills to have, unlocking so much potential within the realm of culinary arts. Not only are culinary competitions a great way for students interested in this field to really show their passion and talent, but it is also a great way for them to practice their skills and further their passion. Additionally, they offer the possibility of bonding and creating new, life-long connections between one’s peers. CUSD holds such competitions, and a few weeks ago, they held their third Annual Chopped Challenge, Chili Cook-off, and Cookie Competition.

I was given the opportunity to interview Luca Cerasoli, who participated in the Cookie Competition. He explained that the event “was held at Casteel High School and it was a Cookie Bake-Off event. The event was overall a success and we had many positive comments about our food.” He opted to partake in the event because he loves baking and wanted to practice and improve upon his own culinary skills. Luca notes that the competition allowed him to “have fun, and do something that I love.”

His favorite part about the event was distributing the cookies to those willing to try them and explain the recipe. At the event, he and his team helped make “Old Fashioned Maple Pancake cookies. We made cookies in the shape of pancakes with a maple flavored icing on top and white chocolate squares to act as butter.” Luca expressed that “By using the opportunities I am offered by our best teachers, Chef Hudson and Chef Treadway, I can really achieve what I want: a career in culinary or hospitality.” In the end, being able to work in teams during an event was crucial to showing your community the talent you have. We’re proud of everyone who participated in the event. Go Knights!