PSATS 2023: Preparing for Success

Made by Auri Smith

It’s that time of the year again! PSATS, also known as Preliminary SAT, is a practice test that students take in order to keep them on a path to higher education. PSAT’s first originated in fall of 1971 when the College Board created it. Since then, over two million students have taken this test to put together their knowledge and intelligence onto a piece of paper or a laptop screen. PSATS serve as a useful tool to aid students in areas that need improvement and allows students to better understand their strengths and areas that still need refinement. Although it doesn’t affect a high schooler’s grades as much as the SAT, it is still very vital because it is in preparation for a SAT, and students should never underestimate the importance of the PSAT. The Preliminary SAT is taken by the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes. It gives further insight on what to expect out of the SAT and helps familiarize students with the test. Furthermore, the PSAT is a great opportunity for juniors to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Test (NMSQT). This could open many doors for earning scholarships.

Credit to OnToCollege

If you are a student and you do not feel ready for the test, you are not alone. Freshman, Kaitlin Arcand, is getting prepared by reviewing and going over her notes while also studying more than she normally would. She doesn’t feel quite nervous due to her positive mindset and attitude. She believes in herself and trying her best while also reminding herself that the test won’t affect her overall grade.

Gigi Suarez, a junior at ACP, has already experienced the PSAT a couple times. Gigi thinks students should expect that it is a long test so anything that students need to do to prepare to be focused for a long period of time is highly recommended. For example, a good night sleep, healthy meals, and checking in with yourself. To add on, the reading portion of the PSAT is said to be one of the longer and more tedious parts of the testing process. This section involves reading several passages then answering questions about them. A piece of advice Gigi would like to share is, “Use your breaks wisely by stretching your body, using the bathroom, and eating your snacks. Finally, I suggest bringing snacks and water and something that can occupy your time once you have completed your testing.”

Credit to Bailey Brantingham, The Central Digest

Gigi and Kaitlin both shared very amazing perspectives. Prioritize your mental health and wellbeing, so you can perform to the best of your abilities. The biggest reminder is to always believe in yourself. Go Knights!