Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

Hispanic Heritage Month and Its Significance

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

In a diverse country such as the U.S., it is crucial to credit the communities that have had a great impact and influence on American culture. Because of this, many national celebrations occur to honor and acknowledge the presence of marginalized communities. They promote the spread of education on ethnic groups and serve as outlets for people to share their experiences and culture. An example of this is Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place from September 15th to October 15th.

Photo by Ms. Noriega

It commemorates the influence and accomplishments of the Hispanic and Latino communities of the U.S.. The celebration first began in 1968 when the U.S. Congress passed a proclamation that designated a week starting on September 15th as “National Hispanic Heritage Week.” Throughout the 1960s, there was a peak in the Civil Rights Movement, which led to more recognition of marginalized groups. After years of advocating for the representation of Hispanic and Latino groups, Hispanic Heritage Week was transformed into the 31-day celebration it is today. At ACP, many students and staff belong to Hispanic and Latino cultures, which is why we strive to represent them and their experiences. Because we are a diverse environment, we recognize celebrations such as these and their impact on people.

I had the opportunity to interview sophomore Doris Amaya about her perspective on Hispanic Heritage Month as a Mexican student at ACP. When I asked her how this month was important to her, she stated, “As someone who was embarrassed about speaking my language or inviting people over because of the food I ate, having a month to celebrate my culture makes me feel empowered and proud. This month allows us to appreciate all the contributions of the Hispanic community and the extensive history of Latinos.” As Doris mentioned, a significant aspect of Hispanic culture is family. It influences the way we navigate the world and serves as the center of our traditions. She expressed, “Family is a major source of our identity and provides us with a strong sense of belonging.”

Photo by Ms. Noriega

During this month, it is essential to acknowledge the contributions and impact of Hispanic and Latino communities. At ACP, they are recognized by teaching elements of Latino culture alongside the language in Spanish classes and clubs. Hispanic Heritage Month is a significant time for many Hispanics since it proves how far we have evolved as a community, and how we continue to make our voices heard. As Doris stated, “This is a time to celebrate the differences and similarities between Hispanic countries, our influence, and the communities that we have created in the United States.” Thank you, Doris, for sharing your experience and helping inform people about the significance of this month. It is crucial to recognize the impact that these communities have had on both the U.S. and worldwide. 

Find out more about Hispanic Heritage Month at https://www.history.com/topics/hispanic-history/hispanic-heritage-month