Knight Times

The Student News Site of Arizona College Prep

Knight Times

Knight Times

Mr. Soto’s Great Impact at ACP

As students develop into young adults and explore their feelings, they need support and understanding to help them overcome struggles. Although there is a misconception that asking for help makes you weak, it is the complete opposite. Reaching out when you need support only shows your ability to recognize your limits and weaknesses, as well as how to excel despite them. As the social worker at ACP, Mr. Soto helps students with this. He has been working in the social work industry since 2020 when he graduated from ASU with his bachelor’s degree. As Mr. Soto stated, his job is to “assist in facilitating communication between home and school, and to assist students socially and emotionally at school, both individually and in groups.” 

I asked Mr. Soto what his favorite part of being a social worker was, and he said, “My favorite part… is establishing the rapport and connections I make with the students. They open up to me about their lives or challenges, and I feel it is important that I try to respect that.” He has become a trusted figure at ACP because of his dedication to supporting students. Because Mr. Soto did not have a social worker in high school, he takes pride in providing students with the assistance he was not able to receive. In 2020, he began working as an investigator for the Department of Child Safety. Although it was challenging, he is grateful to have worked there as he learned a lot about social work. Mr. Soto’s greatest accomplishment yet has been getting his master’s degree, and his next goal is to become a licensed therapist. To prepare himself for social work, he worked at an after-school program, which taught him many things about working with children, such as patience. He also worked as a preschool teacher while he was getting his master’s degree at NAU. From a young age, Mr. Soto has enjoyed helping people. In high school and community college, he was involved with organizations to better the community. As in his high school years, Mr. Soto has been working to improve the ACP family and its students’ well-being.

I had the chance to ask him what the most challenging part of his job is, to which he responded, “I would say I wish there were some situations or challenges that can easily be fixed, but often, some things take time, patience, and support.” A piece of advice he would give to students is, “It is okay and not a sign of weakness to ask for help or support. I feel like there is a misconception that asking for help or support can be perceived as a negative thing. I feel it is a positive because…you are helping yourself.” 

Mr. Soto’s motivation to be a social worker comes from wanting to improve the overall well-being of students while at school. He stated, “I am aware that we all have certain challenges or situations in our lives that can affect us, especially with students. Because of that, I feel motivated to make sure I do my best to help the students and make sure that they feel heard.” Mr. Soto is an immense help in making students feel comfortable and safe, and we can only thank him for all the amazing work he has done at ACP. Thank you, Mr. Soto, for improving the ACP family and its members! 

Author: María Tapia, Staff Writer