Come one, Come all to the Meet the Teacher Night!

Made by Jillian Douglas

ACPHS hosted the yearly Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday, August 17th, from 6-8 p.m. where parents go around the school as they navigate their child’s schedule. Meet the Teacher Night allows parents to speak with their child’s teachers about their classes and general information regarding classroom routines. The goal of the evening was for each of the child’s teachers to provide parents with an instantaneous summary of the curriculum, a review of what students will be studying, and a look at the resources teachers and students will be using to achieve their academic objectives. Teachers were ecstatic to meet the parents of the students they teach this year.

Going to Meet the Teacher Night gave parents and students more confidence and reassurance. When parents walked the halls of the school, met the staff, and got to know each instructor, it raised excitement for the rest of the year. It may have been tempting for parents to forego their child’s back-to-school night, but doing so had many positives. Parents got acquainted with the teachers and their child’s classrooms and were given peace of mind knowing where their child is supported and nurtured in their academic endeavors.

I had the enjoyment of speaking to Mrs. Patterson about her experience during the night. After speaking to her about what is was like to meet her student’s parents she replied, “I like informing the parents about what opportunities there are for their kids that they may not have known.” Opportunities like dual enrollment are just one of the many academic advantages available to our ACP students. Her favorite part of the night was she “really loved meeting the parents and seeing the commonality between the parents and their children.” The one word Mrs. Patterson would use to describe the night would be “energetic because there was a lot of movement and excitement for parents to see what their kids do on a daily basis. It was also nice to see some of the parents I have known for many years since I have taught many of their children throughout the years.”

For parents, going to Meet the Teacher Night is an opportunity to set the mood for the entirety of the school year. This was the first wonderful opportunity for parents to connect with and communicate with this year’s teachers who are faithful in making sure their children have a great, successful, and happy school year.

Author: Rahaell Ikram, staff writer