State Testing: Tips and Tricks

State Testing: Tips and Tricks

Every year, juniors take the ACT and Arizona Science assessments, and freshmen take the ACT Aspire exam. Although we are still in 3rd quarter, and these assessments are administered in 4th quarter, these tests are slowly approaching, and before you know it, it’ll be time to take the exams. On March 29, 30, and 31st, Juniors will take the Arizona Science assessment, and there will be no schedule changes. On April 4th, juniors will take the ACT exam, and all other grades will have a late start- with the school day beginning at 12:25. Lastly, on April 5th and 6th, Freshmen will take the ACT Aspire exam, and sophomores, juniors, and seniors will start school at 11:20.

With these tests coming up, it seems like the appropriate time to share some tips and tricks on how to deal with the potential stress that these tests can bring out. Here are just a few ways to manage these exams:

Organization: Organization is one of the most important techniques to use while studying/preparing. If you can keep your materials, ideas, and plans organized, then you will be much more likely to stay calm while getting ready to take these exams.

Stay on track: As hard as it may be to stay focused while studying, it is key to try to do so. One way to do this is by setting a certain amount of time to study, and then to take a 5-10 minute break afterward. In fact, research shows that taking breaks has proven to increase energy, engagement, and productivity. Another way to help with focus is turning off your phone while you are studying- this can prevent many unnecessary distractions.

Cramming: Do not cram for these tests. Since there is still over a month before the exams, take things slowly. Go through information over multiple weeks, and you can even try to come up with a plan to split up the essential information that you learn/practice each week.

Stay calm: Lastly, make sure to stay calm before and during the test. The day before/the morning of the exam, remember to eat and sleep well. During the test try your best, and answer all of the questions to the best of your ability.

Good luck to all the juniors and freshmen that are going to be testing, and don’t forget to strive for the impossible and be extraordinary, and Go Knights!