2017-2018 Boys’ Soccer Preview

Martin Clancy, Staff Writer

At a school known for its focus on academics, it can be difficult for sports teams to be among the best in the state.  ACP’s sports teams, however, buck this trend in many cases, perhaps none greater than the boys’ varsity soccer team.  Last year, the team’s first in the winter season, the knights were more than impressive on their way to an undefeated season and a state tournament appearance.  Although the Knights were knocked out in the second round of the playoffs, the season provided more than enough memories to fuel excitement for this season, including an 11-1 blowout at Homecoming.  This year, coach Alberto Millan, in his third season as head coach, looks to lead his team to the state tournament, with the goal of advancing even further.  Despite the loss of four senior players since last year, the Knights team is loaded full of great talent.  A core comprised of seven juniors and nine seniors knows

these next seasons will be their last opportunity to reach state.  They will also have the task of preparing the next generation of Knights soccer players for success.  Hear more about the team and their goals below.

Q: What are your goals for this season?

A: To compete for spots in tournaments, especially the state tournament.  Also, to follow the ten values that we have as a team.

Q: What games are you looking forward to this season?

A: I am excited about playing in the Arizona Showcase Tournament as well as the playoffs for state.

Q: Which players do you think will be the most exciting to watch this season?

A: I am very excited about Kadin Rabo (sophomore), Nathan France (sophomore), and Jesse Ramirez (senior).

Below is the schedule for the season.  Scores are included for games that have already taken place:

11/27 vs ASU Prep (Won 10-0)

11/28 @ Tanque Verde (Won 8-0)

12/1 @ Arete Prep (Won 10-0)

12/7 @ Tempe Prep (Won 4-2)

12/8 @ Gilbert Classical Academy (Won 6-1)

12/12 @ North Pointe Prep

12/21 @ Casteel

12/27 vs Cactus Shadows

1/9 vs American Leadership Academy

1/11 @ San Tan Foothills

1/16 vs Horizon Honors

1/23 @ Benjamin Franklin

1/25 @ Santa Cruz Valley

Good luck to the Knights as they pursue a state championship berth!