2017-2018 Girls’ Soccer Preview

Martin Clancy, Staff Writer

Winter is now upon us, bringing with it colder weather, darker skies, and stress over final exams.  However, everything is not as gloomy as it seems, with the anticipation of winter break and the end of the semester growing every day.  Students looking for a way to relax and destress over these last couple of weeks have many options available to them, including getting out to watch the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams play. Last year, the girls’ team finished their first year playing in the winter season with a 6-6-1 record, which they will look to improve upon this year.  The anticipation for the season is quite high, and the Lady Knights, led by second year head coach Roy “Skeeter” Mesquita, have their eyes on a state tournament appearance.  The addition of some talented new players, as well as the experience of the returning players, should give the girls their best opportunity yet to reach this goal.  Here, we will interview coach Mesquita in a preview of what should prove to be an exciting season.

Q: What are your goals for the season as a team?

A: As a coach you always set goals that your team can hopefully reach: improve from last season, winning record, win your region, stay healthy and as always, try to qualify for the State Tournament.

Q: What are the most exciting games on your schedule for this season?

A: That’s a good question. We don’t have a natural rival yet, as it’s only the second year for us in the winter season. However, they’re are a couple of games from last year that I believed we should have won and we tied 2-2 and lost 3-2. Those teams were Gilbert Classical and Arete Prep. In both games we had the lead and gave it up. So I hope we have a different outcome this season.

Q: Which players are you most excited to watch play this year?

A:  Well, to be honest, I am excited about the whole team. I believe we have a much deeper team than last year and maybe a little more talent overall. For me, it’s really hard to single out players on such a team sport where everyone has a role to fill. But that’s a cliché answer, so to answer your question, I am excited about 3 girls new to the program: two freshman and one senior.

Senior Goalie: Rachel Kokernak
Freshman Forward: Jenni McMahon
Freshman Defender: Hailey Starks

Below is their schedule, including results for any games that have already taken place.

11/28 vs Tanque Verde (Lost 3-0)

12/8 @ Gilbert Classical Academy (Won 2-0)

12/11 vs Arete Prep

12/12 @ North Pointe Prep

12/15-16 Chandler Prep Girls Soccer Invite (Opponents TBD)

12/19 vs Gilbert Christian

1/9 @ American Leadership Academy

1/11 vs San Tan Foothills

1/12 @ Phoenix Country Day

1/16 @Horizon Honors

1/18 vs Casteel

1/23 @ Benjamin Franklin

1/25 vs Santa Cruz Valley

Best of luck to the girls’ soccer team as they begin their season!