Our Newest Addition: Mrs. Hogsett

An addition to our new 31 teachers this school year is Mrs. Hogsett. She is joining us here at ACP as an AP Language and Composition teacher as well as teaching Honors 10th grade English. Upon arrival at ACP, the ACP family welcomed her and made her feel at home right away. Immediately, she was greeted by former students and sweet colleagues, all whom she knew from teaching BASIS Chandler.

In college, Mrs. Hogsett majored in journalism, wrote for the school paper, and worked as one of the news anchors on campus. It wasn’t until after graduation when she decided to switch gears and become a teacher. She became passionate about teaching English during college, especially after as she would peer edit her friends’ papers. Because she always enjoyed reading and writing, Mrs. Hogsett discovered her talent and wanted to use it to help others.

Her motivation to teach comes from helping students reach their full potential. As she stated, “I want everyone to find joy and passion in life. Kids today have stressful lives full of technology and sports practices, college goals, and test after test. My job is to help them navigate through this challenging and chaotic world, providing education about my subject, but also reminding them to relax and enjoy each day.” Mrs. Hogsett’s priority is to ensure students have a balance between learning and having fun. She understands that they undergo a lot of stress and need support at school. Her hope is to be a teacher that is fair and helpful, as well as knowledgeable and understanding.

Mrs. Hogsett believes motivation is critical for every aspect of life, and she explained, “Motivation really comes from within. I try to help my students when they are struggling, and I build them up when they are down. Sometimes, by setting them up for success, they become more motivated to continue feeling that positive outcome. I build games and activities into lessons to keep things interesting, but all I can do is cheer them on and try to help.” A piece of advice that Mrs. Hogsett would give to her past self, which is useful to us as well would be, “Everything works out in the end. Don’t sweat the small stuff!”

For some fun questions, I asked her if she could be any dog breed, which would she be. She replied, “My two Cavapoos are happy little lap dogs. What an easy life that would be! I would just chill out and go on adventures with my human.” She also said that if she could have any superpower, she would choose flying because she could avoid traffic and travel swiftly.

Thank you Mrs. Hogsett for being such an inspiration and always being prepared to teach students every day. We are so glad to have you be a part of our family. Welcome to ACP!

Author: Auri Smith, Staff Writer