A Look Into Signing Day with Kellen Gibson!

Steve Chadwick

Photo courtesy of Kellen Gibson.

Signing Day is an exciting day for all students, especially student athletes, as we celebrate their accomplishments and future. Every year, athletes sign their National Letter of Intent, which allows them to continue their athletic journey in college. This year’s signing day was extra special, as we had more students than ever commit to a college for sports. The following are all the ACP Knights that committed this year:

Mark Chavez (Class of 2021) committed to Lake Forest College for football.

Conor Curbello committed to Central Arizona College for rodeo.

Joel Diaz (Class of 2021) committed to Colorado School of Mines for football.

Bryan Dyson (Class of 2021) committed to Rocky Mountain College for football.

Kellen Gibson (Class of 2021) committed to Johns Hopkins for football.

Ryan Gray (Class of 2021) committed to Alma College for swim.

Rajveer Sethi (Class of 2021) committed to Illinois Wesleyan for golf.

Richie Williams (Class of 2021) committed to Lake Forest College for football.

I got to speak to one of our celebrated student-athletes and find out a little more about their individual signing process. Presenting Kellen Gibson, everyone!

Photo courtesy of Kellen Gibson.

Q: How are you doing?

A: I’ve been doing good.

Q: Why did you choose Johns Hopkins University?

A: I felt it was a good fit for me. They are very reputable, especially in the field I want to go into (biology). Their football is also strong with a lot of like-minded players who work hard in and out of the classroom.

Q: What position do you play?

A: I play main linebacker, but I will be a standup outside defensive end at Hopkins.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about football and why?

A: Aside from the physicality of the sport, my favorite part is the family. We all support each other. My high school has developed into a second family that I can rely on. There is nothing quite like it.

Photo courtesy of Kellen Gibson. (Steve Chadwick)

Q: What are you looking forward to the most in Maryland?

A: I’m excited not necessarily about the city of Baltimore, itself, but the idea of having my own adventure. My parents have had a huge impact on who I am as a person, but I think it’s time that I experience things on my own. I also haven’t spent a ton of time on the east coast, so I definitely am excited for sight-seeing.

Q: How old were you when you started playing football?

A: I played a short season when I was eight years old, but I didn’t want to get concussions at such a young age. I did some flag football in middle school, but high school was my first real experience with football.

Q: Why did you start playing football?

A: I really love sports and one sport I hadn’t fully experienced was tackle football. So, once I was in high school, I wanted to at least try and see if it was for me.

Photo courtesy of Kellen Gibson.

Q: What are you planning on majoring in and why?

A: I plan on majoring in biology with a emphasis on pre-med because I find it interesting and I want to go to medical school.

Q: How was the commitment process? Was it an easy decision?

A: The commitment process was long and difficult because of COVID. I had to file a lot of applications for schools and talk with a lot of coaches. I had a lot of options, so the decision was hard. Another reason it was a hard decision was because I liked most of the coaches.

Q: What’s your jersey number and why?

A: I’m number 45. I don’t really have a reason.

I would like to thank Kellen for sharing about his journey and his excitement for the future. We all wish you luck at Johns Hopkins University and are excited to see what awaits you. Congratulations to all our student-athletes for signing their National Letter of Intent. Good luck to all of you, as well. Don’t forget to strive for the impossible and be extraordinary!