Meet One of ACP’s New Teachers: Mr. Johnson

Kristin Myer, Staff Writer

Each year, as our school grows larger, we welcome several new faculty members into the ACP community! One of these new faces around campus, Mr. Johnson, is teaching Honors English 9 as well as Science and Technical Writing for seniors. He received his bachelor’s degree in English Education from the University of Arizona and his master’s degree from Northern Arizona University. As well, he is in the process of finishing his English literature dissertation and obtaining a PhD at ASU. To introduce Mr. Johnson to our school, I asked him a few questions:

Q1. What motivated you to become a teacher?

A1: I was first motivated by my seventh grade teacher and director, Mr. Dave Mittel. Ironically, I found out yesterday he is helping out with Speech and Debate here at ACP-Erie; he’s bringing a competitive theater component to Speech and Debate. I hadn’t seen him in 21-22 years; I am still ten-feet off the ground after seeing him because he was my world in junior high! In addition, I was inspired to become a teacher based on some of the books that first got through to me: Of Mice and Men, “Romeo and Juliet”, and Ender’s Game, among a few others. They planted seeds and those seeds grew, however slowly.

Q2. How long have you been teaching?

A2: I have been teaching since the early 2000s (certified since 2006).

Q3. Which subjects do you teach?

A3: I teach early American literatures, as well as STEM Writing, here at ACP. I have also taught English 101 and 102 at ASU and the Maricopa community colleges.

Q4. What are you looking forward to this year in the ACP community?

A4: Honestly, just being part of this community! I am downright spellbound by the kindness of people and the closeness of the culture here. I’m very blessed!

Q5. If you could meet any famous person, who would you meet, and why?

A5: I think I would meet Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, wildly famous slapstick comedians going back to silent film. I grew up watching them, and they have always been heroes of mine! A more historical figure I would be eager to meet would be Frederick Douglass. I think a sit-down with him, however chilling, would be massively educational as a US citizen.

Q6. If you could time travel, where would you go, and what would you do?

A6: However predictably, I would bear witness to the beginning of all life. I mean, come on, what a show!

Looking toward the future, we hope you enjoy your first year at ACP. Welcome to the ACP family, Mr. Johnson!