Spirit Week: Homecoming 2023

Picture by Zainab Gheyasi

Spirit Week is a time to show off your school pride and unite. Spirit Week dates back to 1952 when Palo Alto High School had a week known as Friendship Week. Along with almost every school nationwide, ACP took on this idea to serve as a purpose to not only kick off the beginning of the second quarter, but help boost morale throughout the ACP family. This week was for Homecoming, and our hard-working Student Council planned the entire theme for each day. They kicked off the four-day week with an Adam Sandler day. People arrived at school in baggy t-shirts, basketball shorts, and hats. Wednesday was filled with leis and beach wear, as it was tropical-themed. Then, on Thursday, supporting the girls’ volleyball team was Pink Day, also known as Dig Pink. Everyone wore their pinkest outfits, which was a phenomenal way to contribute to the team’s spirit. The annual Dig Pink volleyball game had several who showed up to support those who have been affected by breast cancer.  Finally, Friday is black and white, which aligns with the football game theme. ACP’s varsity football team is playing at home against Desert Sunrise High School. Make sure to come out and support your school.

Picture by Zainab Gheyasi

Spirit Week creates long-lasting memories that bond people together in order to create high school memoirs that will last a lifetime. To get another student perspective, I had the opportunity to interview Zak Ayoub, a freshman at ACP who participated in Spirit Week. His favorite day of the week was Tropical Day because he enjoys being able to wear Hawaiian shirts to school. He also thinks that school spirit improves our community and is essential because it provides students more freedom in their choice of attire, which the student body appreciates.

Picture by Zainab Gheyasi

As Homecoming is right around the corner, the ACP family is thrilled. Spirit Week impacts every student and staff member as it fosters a sense of community by uniting them with long-lasting school pride. This week all ties back to the big event of the night, Homecoming. Spirit Week affects our high school experience by making it truly remarkable. It leaves us with excitement and eagerness for Homecoming weekend. Go Knights!