Administration Guides New Teachers In Classroom Development

Being a teacher is not always easy, although they make it seem like that, there is so much more to teaching. Teachers play a crucial role in students’ lives; they are responsible for guiding students in education with knowledge, skills, ethics, and values in life. It is important that teachers are inspiring and serve as a supportive role model to their students. This school year, ACP has 31 new teachers, all coming from different schools with contrasting backgrounds. To bring them all together and get more mentorship as a teacher, ACP’s administration has provided after school classes for them called the PREP Teacher Academy Professional Development Topics. Some of these topics include classroom management, making the most of block days, teaching, assessing, and tutoring for mastery, self care for educators, engagement strategies, creating performance assessments, social emotional learning, and tech talk: Google Classroom, I.C., Microsoft, etc.

I got the opportunity to interview ACP’s very own Assistant Principal in Instruction and Curriculum, Mrs. Osborn. I asked her what her inspiration was for coming up with these classes for teachers, and she responded, “We hope to give the newer teachers more personal attention and a support system for themselves by getting to know one another. We also strive for teachers to be successful in classroom management, while also taking care of themselves as we are all a part of the ACP family and welcoming community.” On Thursday, September 21, the first class took place, and it was held by Mr. Roth in the College and Career Center. In his presentation he talked about the classroom culture vision for ACPHS and how to ensure teachers always show our students they are nurtured and supported.  Mr. Roth also explained that the foundation of our entire school culture begins in our classrooms. He hopes classrooms can be disciplined, engaging, and motivational.

These classes are an amazing way to have administrators interact and bond with the faculty staff. This will become a monthly event where not only Mr. Roth will present, but Mrs. McClure, Mrs. Davis, Mrs. Osborn, Mr. Soto, and Mr. Creighton, as well. ACP’s principal, Mr. Bickes, also attended, which made this so much more memorable. These classes serve a purpose to put teachers into a student’s perspective so they can truly understand a student. We truly appreciate our administration and staff for all their hard work and dedication to this to make ACP a wonderful environment for their students. Go Knights!