NHS at Feed My Starving Children

NHS at Feed My Starving Children

As you may already know, the National Honors Society members at ACP consistently make an effort to serve others. Several of the committees in NHS work on multiple service projects throughout the year, building both their character and bettering our community. Just a few days ago, on November 28th and December 4th, nearly all of ACP’s National Honors Society members participated in two major volunteer events at Feed My Starving Children (FMSC), a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide malnourished children with nutrient-packed meals.

The entire duration of the volunteer events was incredible. All the volunteers were separated into different groups and then divided into different stations. Each member played a huge role in the making of just one meal. There were volunteers who scooped the ingredients for people who held a bag under a funnel. There were volunteers who weighed the meals for those in charge of sealing and packing the meals into boxes. There were even volunteers who provided each group with materials and more ingredients when one box would run out. Volunteers were making meals at an incredibly fast and smooth pace; everyone was within a friendly competition with one another. Left and right, volunteer groups were

gleefully shouting out the number of boxes they have prepared, several groups surpassing the targeted goal of seventeen boxes. The whole experience was incredible to witness, everyone at that event; children and adults alike, had a blast and could feel how impactful their efforts were.

Needless to say, both of these two-hour long events at Feed My Starving Children were a huge success. On December 4th alone, volunteers packed 220 boxes, creating a grand total of 47,520 meals to feed 130 children for an entire year. Here is what NHS club sponsor, Ms. Bunch, said about the event:

Q: Overall, how did the FMSC event turn out? How many volunteers participated?

A: It turned out very well. Since NHS has so many members this year, we had to have two dates for the event. We had a lot of parents who came to help volunteer, and the whole process of making the boxes of food was fun. I know on December 4th we had about 65 volunteers, which includes both students and parents.

Q: Why do you think exposing students and encouraging them to participate in volunteer organizations like FMSC is beneficial?

A: For so many of us today, both teens and adults, it is easy for us to get wrapped up in our own needs and issues. Stepping out and into an organization like Feed My Starving Children really brings awareness that there are a lot of people out there with problems bigger than our own. 

Q: Have you received any direct positive feedback from students who went to the event?

A: I have had quite a few people come up and tell me how much they enjoyed volunteering there, more than what they expected. Others said they were shocked with how many children they impacted just by giving two hours of their time volunteering.

Q: Are you planning to have another FMSC volunteer session next semester? If not, what other volunteer opportunities are NHS planning?

A: I will have to check with the officers of NHS and NJHS about what volunteer options they are interested in. However, I would like to see other organizations  on campus put something together second semester for Feed My Starving Children because it is one of those activities that is both fun and engaging.

Q: Any other words? Why do you think children should volunteer, even if it is not through organizations like NHS or Key Club?

A: As I said earlier, it is good to look outside of yourself and your comfort zone. Service is an extremely important part of humanity. It’s really important to constantly remind ourselves and each other that service to others is extremely crucial, and that we should appreciate what we do have.