Arizona’s 112th Anniversary: The Vaunted Vibrant Spirit of the Grand Canyon State

Photo Credit: Unsplash

The birthday of the vast and golden state of Arizona, a day of gatherings and traditions, is celebrated on February 14th, which marks the day going back to 1912, more than one century ago, when Arizona officially became the 48th state of the United States of America.  This special occasion holds great significance for the state and its residents. It symbolizes Arizona’s journey toward statehood, marking a milestone in its history and identity. On this day, Arizonans gather in harmony to celebrate their state’s rich culture, diverse heritage, and natural beauty. It’s a time for reflection on how far Arizona genuinely has gone, its achievements, and its contributions to the nation we love and hold close to our hearts. As we commemorate Arizona’s birthday, we honor the pioneers, leaders, and citizens who have sculpted the state’s past and continue to craft its future. It’s a day filled with pride, unity, and a sense of community as we cherish our shared history and look forward to the opportunities that are ahead for the Grand Canyon State.

Photo Credit: 4K Wallpapers

Precisely 112 years ago today, Arizona, a beloved state of the U.S., was admitted to the union. The state of Arizona chose to name it after one of its native place names, Aleh-zon or Ali-Shonak, which meant “small spring” or “place of the small spring” in Spanish. Arizona is also best known as the Copper State because of its wealth of mineable copper and the Grand Canyon State, one of the first national parks in the United States. It just so happens that February 14th is also Valentine’s Day, the day of love and joy! However, this was truly not the original plan that had been envisioned. Upon President William Howard Taft’s decision to sign Arizona’s statehood writings, organizers were hoping he would ratify the state on February 12th, Abraham Lincoln’s birthday. Since Taft was unfortunately out of town on the 12th, everyone thought the 13th of February was inauspicious. The signing was moved up to February 14th, the day to honor affection and devotion. 

For decades, school children in Arizona have been taught the five Cs: Copper, Cattle, Cotton, Citrus, and Climate. These five C’s have been the driving force behind Arizona’s economy and gave economic security to past generations. Parts of Arizona used to belong to Spanish and Mexican territories. The U.S. only acquired the territory under the terms of the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the 1853 Gadsden Purchase. Furthermore, Arizona’s capital, Phoenix, is the hottest city in the United States. Unsurprisingly, the Arizona State Bird is a cactus wren, and the State Flower is the Saguaro Cactus Blossom only found in the Sonoran desert, the State Tree is the Palo Verde Tree, and the state motto is, “God enriches.”

Some of the beloved landmarks and gorgeous scenic sights are the Hoover Dam, Red Rock State Park, and Havasu & Mooney Falls. Considered an engineering marvel, the Hoover Dam was inaugurated in 1935 and titled after the late 31st President Herbert Hoover. The water collected at the dam is capable of supplying water to two million acres. Tourists walk on top of the astronomical dam, explore its passageways and tunnels, and even ride an elevator 530 feet to the lowest level. The Red Rock State Park is a breathtaking environmental education facility and natural sanctuary. The striking hues and natural beauty of Red Rock’s rock formations leave many visitors and the inhabitants of Arizona in awe. Moreover, the Havasupai Indian Reservation is home to Mooney Falls and Havasu, two of the Grand Canyon’s grandeurs. Each year, hundreds of people flock to take in the highly sought-after blue-green waterfalls. These three landmarks are indescribable yet quasi-miraculous parts of what makes Arizona, Arizona! 

Photo Credit: Sunset Magazine

Arizona’s allure lies in its captivating blend of natural wonders and vibrant culture, drawing countless admirers to call it home. From the crimson hues of the Grand Canyon to the sprawling deserts adorned with towering saguaros, Arizona’s landscapes inspire awe and wonder at every turn. The weather found here in Arizona is beautiful in itself. Beyond its scenic beauty, Arizona’s rich cultural mosaic adds to its charm, with vibrant Native American heritage, bustling urban centers, and a thriving arts scene. The warm climate and abundant and endless amount of the shining sun create an idyllic outdoor paradise year-round. Arizona’s welcoming communities foster a strong sense of belonging, making it easy to understand why so many are drawn to live amidst its stunning beauty and embrace its unique way of life. On behalf of the ACP family, we wish Arizona a happy 112th birthday and ponder upon what Arizona will continue to offer in the years ahead.