The Celebration of Labor Day

Made by Auri Smith

Labor Day is a national holiday celebrated in the U.S. since 1894. The president at the time, Grover Cleveland, signed a Congress-passed law stating that workers typically had this day off as a recognition for all the hard work they did, and still do. For decades and even centuries, workers have put all their time and effort into this wonderful country to make it the place it is now. Without

Photo credits to the U.S. Department of Labor Day.

them, the U.S. wouldn’t have the success and strength it has today. Before Labor Day was even declared a holiday, a protest that spread nationwide took place, occurring six days before Labor Day became an official holiday, known as the Pullman Strike. The unjust conditions in the work place as well as the extensive workload caused employees to go on strike from June-July in 1894.  It ended when the federal government took action and declared its ending. Following that, many companies including the Pullman Company, reopened their doors for employees to get their jobs back. The only condition was they had to sign an agreement that they would never join a union. Interestingly, Oregon was the first ever state to celebrate and declare this holiday.  

Photo taken by Maria-Louise Sidoroff, Ph.D

Labor Day is now celebrated on the first Monday of September every year. This year, it will take place on September fourth. Make sure that you take in consideration all the people who worked with determination and perseverance for this country. Labor Day may not be as popularly celebrated as Halloween or Valentine’s Day, but it is just as significant as the other holidays. Whether it’s a student at a school or a employee at a company, everyone deserves a day off.  For more information, visit https://www.dol.gov/general/laborday/history