A Recap of the 2019-2020 School Year

It’s hard to believe that the school year is already over when it feels like it’s only just begun. Over the course of the school year, multiple events and activities took place that left many students with magnificent memories. Lets take a moment to review these fun times.

Welcome Back Pep Assembly

The Class of 2020 welcomed the undergraduates on the first Friday of the school year with a galaxy themed assembly. The seniors had a flash mob and all of the classes participated in class chanting and other competitions. Student Body President Ahlias Jones gave a motivational speech to end the week.

Photo from Kristen Meyer.

Back-to-School Pool Party

During the annual school pool party, students were able to hang out with their friends and family while swimming and eating tons of food! Several ACP alumni made an appearance and surprised teachers and old classmates.

Ray Road Rivalry

ACP dominated over our rival, Chandler Prep, during the first game of the football season. ACPFB won 31-17 marking the start of a great football season!

Photo from Swati Kumar.

Homecoming: Old Hollywood

The end of September brought Homecoming; this year’s theme was Old Hollywood. Students enjoyed a week full of spirit dress days and fun activities, with a tailgate and football game introducing the end of the excitement before the finale: the dance.

Mrs. Wilson and Mr. Bickes accepting the award. Photo from the Department of Education.

Becoming a Blue Ribbon School

Before the beginning of fall break, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos announced ACP as one of many schools to receive the National Blue Ribbon Award. Months later in Washington D.C., Mr. Bickes represented ACP along with Mrs. Wilson while accepting the award.

Photo courtesy of Hannah Prost.

Ax of Murder

ACP’s theater group, Knights on Stage, more commonly known as KOS (pronounced chaos) presented their fall production: Ax of Murder. The play revolved over a haunted script the playhouse wanted to use, even though “bad things happen” whenever they read from it. Eventually, it turned out to be a ruse between the playwright and the police who were trying to find the murderer of a late actor.

Photo taken by Elizabeth Bishop.

Dig Pink

ACP girls’ volleyball annual fundraiser for breast cancer research took place in October. The girls’ goal of $8,000 was overpassed as students and families successfully donated $8,213.07 to the cause.

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Bishop

Royal Flush’s Sixth Anniversary

Boys basketball almost won their annual Royal Flush basketball game, losing 35-32. As always, our boys did a fantastic job and made their school proud!

Winter Wishes

ACP StuGo raised $2,500 to donate to the Make-A-Wish Foundation through various activities and the big winter dance. The proceeds went toward granting wishes to ill children.

Photo courtesy of Morgan Applegate.

Mr. ACP

The annual Mr. ACP show took place in March, marking five years of the comedy spectacle judged by teachers. Ahlias Jones was crowned Mr. ACP at the end of the night, after performances by Mario Duncan, Alex Gilchrist, Leo Wang, Chase Williams, David Kriegar, James Chadwick, and Nicholas Matthew.

Photo taken by Elizabeth Bishop.

MORP: Under the Streetlights

Following Mr. ACP, StuGo put on a spectacular MORP dance. The dance took place in the student parking lot and featured more than dancing, in forms of giant games of Jenga! The photo booth, run by photographer Elizabeth Bishop, was a hit with the students!

Photo taken by Elizabeth Bishop.

Class of 2020 Diploma Distribution Parade

The school year might not have ended as we anticipated, but students and teachers have made the most of it. While the Class of 2020 did not receive a traditional graduation ceremony, the school’s administration is making sure that the Class of 2020 receives recognition for their hard work. On May 28th, from 5:30 to 6:15, ACP will be handing out diplomas to seniors with help from Chandler Police and Fire while undergraduates line the streets or park in the student parking lot. Seniors will drive through the procession to pick up their diplomas.

On the behalf of the newspaper staff, I wish everyone a great summer. Stay safe and remember to be extraordinary! Thank you for a fun year!