ACP Volleyball Season Preview

The Lady Knights look to bring home the first banner in high school history.

“There’s no reason why we can’t” are the words located on the back of Coach Heather Orr’s clipboard. While some programs at ACP are still in the development stage, ACP girls volleyball is beyond that point. The Lady Knights are here to not just compete, but to win a championship.

ACP is coming off a solid 13-5 campaign in 2016. More important than the record, however, is the valuable

experience that the team’s young core gained. This year’s squad is built around eight sophomores, featuring hitter Krista Rowan and setter/hitter Julia Golichowski. Coach Orr also named senior Lucy Hoffman and junior Daria Sukhareva as girls she expects to make a massive impact early on.

The character of ACP volleyball is one of the most noticeable aspects of the team. These young ladies are all about team, family, togetherness. Coach Orr described her team as “team-centered and unselfish,” keys to any cohesive unit. Petty disputes over individual touches or statistics will not distract the team from its goal of winning a championship. 

The Knights have a difficult schedule to begin the year, having to play on the road in their first four matches. The Knights will not play at home until September 18 when they face Santa Cruz Valley, a team they easily defeated three sets to none last season. One of the toughest tests of the year will come in the opening battle at Bourgade Catholic. The match was not particularly close last season, with ACP losing 25-10, 25-22, 25-13. Coach Orr seeks revenge this time around. “If we can start off with a victory there, I know that we’re capable of it, I think that would set us off on a good course for the rest of our season.” The contest that I look forward to the most is a match against Leading Edge Academy on September 29. Last season, the two teams played each other very tightly, with the match coming down to the fifth and final game.

So, why should the ACP student body come out and watch volleyball? “You will see an impressive display of athleticism and teamwork,” says Coach Orr. While football will be the team which gets the most attention this year, the Knights volleyball team might just be the best team on campus. Come pack the bleachers for the home opener against Santa Cruz Valley on September 18.