College & Career Center: Scholarships

Taken from CUSD

Taken from CUSD

As second quarter begins, seniors are approaching graduation and attending college. It is no doubt that college is a handful, not in just applying for them, but paying for it as well. The average tuition and fees range around $20,000-50,000, so receiving scholarships is very essential. However, the Chandler Education Foundation provides numerous private donor scholarships. The deadline to submit applications is on Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 2:30 P.M. to Mrs. Dalton at the College & Career Center. Here are some of the many available scholarships that could be good use to you.

Taken from the Chandler Education Foundation Chandler Education Website

AAUW Scholarship – SE Valley Branch (2 recipients)

The American Association of University Women was founded in 1881 by 17 like-minded women who defied society’s standards by earning college degrees. The founding members envisioned an organization in which women college graduates could band together to open doors of higher education to other women. Today, the AAUW is comprised of more than 100,000 throughout the country whose mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research. In keeping with the national vision of educating women, in 2010, the AAUW Southeast Valley Branch, Sun Lakes, Arizona elected to establish, and began funding a local scholarship for senior girls attending CUSD high schools. Two awards of at least $1,000 will be given to two female students.

Requirements: 

• Minimum GPA of 2.5
  • Planning to attend an in-state community college or university
  • Participation in extra-curricular activities
  • Community service
  • Leadership qualities
  • Financial need
  • The recipients must remain in contact with the AAUW Organization for invitations to future events

ACP Community Scholarship Award (1 recipient)

This scholarship was established in 2018, and is intended for well-rounded ACP students. No financial requirements should be considered for this scholarship. One (1) award of $1,000 will be given.

Requirements:

• Minimum GPA of 3.5 – weighted or unweighted
  • Community service: 50-100 hours. Additional credit given to those students that performed over 100 hours.
  • Leadership qualities
  • ACP Erie athletic involvement (playing and/or managing)
  • Must have attended ACP for at least four years. Additional credit given for those that attended ACP for 7th and/or 8th grade as well

Chandler Rotary Scholarship (8 recipients)

The Chandler Rotary Club Scholarship was established in 2016 to recognize those students who have demonstrated strong community service and leadership qualities which exemplify the rotary motto, “Service above Self.” Four scholarships will be awarded to students attending a university, and four will be awarded to students attending a community college or vocational program after graduation. Eight (8) awards of $1,000 will be given.

Requirements

• Minimum GPA of 2.75
  • Minimum 100 hours of community service
  • Leadership qualities
  • Financial need
  • Applicant must also include a short paragraph or two describing the community service work performed. (Times New Roman, 12 pt. font)

These two applications must be turned in by February 5th.

Victor M. Cooper Scholarship Award (1 recipient

This scholarship was created to provide financial assistance to African-American males continuing their education in college.

One award of $500 will be given

• African-American male continuing his education in college
  • GPA of 2.5 – 3.0
  • Community service
  • Leadership qualities
  • Financial need
  • Essay (500 words or less, Times New Roman 12 pt. font) on your future goals.
  • Two letters of reference, one personal, one professional

Saunders Montague Scholarship Award (1 recipient)

One award of $500 will be given.

• GPA of 2.5 – 3.0
  • Community service
  • Leadership qualities
  • Financial need

Scholarships are so important to lessen the impact of rising tuition costs, so be sure to fill out each form competently. Be sure not to procrastinate as well because incomplete applications will not be considered. You can only gain from applying so stay strong and good luck, Knights!