Getting to Know Miss Lindstrom: ACP’s Free Spirit

Miss Lindstrom with her dogs. Photo courtesy of Miss Lindstrom.

ACP is home to a wide variety of teachers and students and with that, a plethora of diverse personalities. One personality, however, sticks out very much in the crowded halls of Erie. Regarded as a strong and passionate individual here at Erie, Miss Lindstrom is loved and appreciated by her students.

Miss Lindstorm, who teaches AP Language, has been teaching high school English classes for 34 years and has been at Erie since the 2016-2017 school year. On campus she’s known for her bubbly and whimsical character and involvement in senior activities and the International Knights Fest, held every spring.

I asked Miss Lindstrom for a quick interview to get to know her better and she happily complied:

Q: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: I don’t ever remember “deciding”. I was just always a “teacher”. It runs in my bloodline. When all the other girls were playing “house” and “mom” when I was young, I was playing “teacher”. I remember giving my first handwritten, self-created “quiz” to peers whom I was put in charge of “teaching” an opening dance routine that I choreographed when I was in 3rd grade. So, yeah, I’ve “always” been a teacher.

Miss Lindstrom, a California native, teaches AP Language. Photo courtesy of Miss Lindstrom.

Q: Did you originally plan to teach English?

A: Nope. I was originally TOLD by guidance counselors and other advisors in college that I could never teach high school because I was too small and looked too young, so that high school kids would “eat me alive.” “Ahahahaha” — that’s how I reacted. I said, “yeah, you don’t know me.” So, I entered college as an elementary school teacher candidate, but that lasted about a month. Then I thought I’d be a PE teacher because I had been a swim and gymnastics “teachers” since I was 12, but then I learned that PE teachers had to take a bunch of science classes and, at the time, I hated science classes, so I went to English because I was “good” at English and it came “easy” to me.

Q: What do you enjoy the most about ACP?

A: The small environment, GREAT students, fellow teachers and administration (seriously, best administration I’ve worked for, and I’ve worked for many different principals), location, focus-I just really love ACP. It’s the best school I’ve worked at, and I feel at home here.

Q: How did you get into meditation?

A: That’s too long of a story, but the short story is, I had a housemate who invited me to a yoga class that included lots of meditative chanting, and that class was cathartic, very healing and opened new doors in my life, including meditation. There’s a lot more to that story and my “getting into meditation”, but that was a turning point for me.

Q: Are you from Arizona? If not, how did you end up in the valley?

A: Nope. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, California. I went to college in northern California (where the big Paradise fire was last year and where my heart will forever be). I moved to AZ in 1996 due to the cost of living in CA and the fact that my best friends (my oldest sister and my childhood friend) were moving out here in 1993.

Q: Were you involved in any sports when you were younger?

A: YEP! I was totally athletic. First a swimmer, then a gymnast. My dad taught me to fast pitch (I wanted to be a pitcher in Little League -WAY before girls were allowed in Little League). I was a synchronized swimmer and dancer when I was young. When I got older, I got into body building, power lifting, and triathlons. Now I just generally work out and stay fit, through swimming, running occasionally, walking dogs, weight-lifting, hiking, etc.

Miss Lindstrom, pictured here with her dogs and some of the dogs she dog-sits for. Photo courtesy of Miss Lindstrom.

Q: What is your spirit animal? Why?

A: I’m not 100% sure, but maybe a turtle. I don’t know how or why, but I started collecting turtles years ago. I have turtles all over my house and yard (not real ones). Turtles are symbolic for longevity and wisdom.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: I like to hang with my doggies, and the doggies I take care of. Read. Meditate. SLEEP. Enjoy my yard (in the sun), hike.

Q: What is something students would be surprised to find out about you?

A: Hmmm, well my current students pretty much know this about me, but for those who are not directly my students, they might be surprised to find out that I was the California State Champion in Power Lifting in 1986 (yeah, I was “hella” strong for a tiny person).

Q: Do you have any pets?

A: I currently have two dogs, an eight year old Cocker Spaniel, and a four year old Yorkshire terrier, but I feel like I have more because I dog sit for other people, so I sometimes have up to eight dogs in my home at one time.

Q: What is your dream vacation?

A: Hmmmm, probably being able to take my dogs with me as I explore places, like Greece or maybe Costa Rica.

Thank you so much to Miss Lindstrom for taking the time to give us a little insight into her life outside of school! ACP appreciates everything you’ve ever done for us and for the love and effort you put into striving to make our campus a better school.