If You Missed The Dual Enrollment/AP Informational Meeting: Here’s What You Need To Know!

Taken from the CUSD website

Taken from the CUSD website

Yesterday, we had our first Dual Enrollment/AP Informational meeting! Parents and students understood what Dual Enrollment is and what they will have to do regarding their student’s needs. For those who don’t know, Dual Enrollment is a program that allows any high school student to receive college credit prior to high school graduation. Taking Advanced Placement Exams (AP) is a different way to earn the credit as well.

Some benefits of Dual Enrollment is that it builds study skills, college classes are taught in a smaller environment, it enhances your college resume, obtain a minor or double major at the college or university, and it saves you a lot of money.

The college that ACP works in conjunction with is Chandler Gilbert Community College (CGCC). Have in mind that not all classes are applicable for Dual Enrollment, so please ask your teacher to confirm if your class is a Dual Enrollment course. If you pass the class with a C or better, you earn credit. Be aware that it is only accepted by Arizona state universities and most “state” universities.

For instance, if you get 4 credits during the Dual Enrollment course, it will transfer through ASU with 4 credits to that specific class.

Now for Advanced Placements, it is nationally recognized in more than 100 countries. If you score a 3, 4, or 5 on the test it equals college credit. Potential graduation honors include being an: AP Scholar, AP Scholar with Honors, AP Distinguished Scholar, and a National AP Scholar. These places are achieved with the amount of AP tests taken and getting scores of 3 or higher.

Price wise, taking the AP test is the cheapest way to get your credit, but some people are just not strong test takers. For Dual Enrollment, it costs around $370 for the whole year; APs cost $95 per test; and at ASU, tuition is approximately $10,792 per year for in-state. Therefore, you are definitely saving a lot of money by taking Dual Enrollment courses and AP tests.

Image taken from the CUSD website.

To enroll into an AP class, click Sign in to My AP with your College Board account and make sure you’ve joined your class section.

As for Dual Enrollment, something new has been added – this year the application must be completed online and not on paper. As you see on the left, it shows you exact instructions of what you need to do to apply. There is also a video guide posted on ACP’s website.

For Dual Enrollment courses:

The deadline for tuition assistance is August 30th.

Registration Deadlines are Friday, September 6, 2019 for fall and year-long classes and Friday January 31, 2020 for spring classes.

Payment Deadlines are Monday, September 16, 2019 for fall and year-long classes and Monday, February 10, 2020 for spring classes.

For AP students:

Registration Deadlines is automatic when you are added to the class section roster by your AP teacher.

For people doing self-study registration – please see Mr. Vezzosi to register for your exam before September 25, 2019.

Payment Deadlines are $95 for each AP test before September 25, 2019.

Please reach out to your school counselors if you have any questions. Their emails and phone numbers are posted on ACP’s website under faculty. I wish all parents and students the best for whichever route they take, and good luck!