Mentor Match Meeting

The+seniors+in+the+cafeteria+waiting+for+the+incoming+freshmen+holding+phones+and+papers+with+their+table+numbers.++

The seniors in the cafeteria waiting for the incoming freshmen holding phones and papers with their table numbers.

Every year the new freshmen of ACP get paired with a senior at the beginning of the year.  The seniors come in pairs or groups to mentor, guide, and teach the new freshmen about the opportunities and adventures awaiting them.  We have all been the new kid in school confused and surrounded by people, not knowing where to go or what to do, but this wonderful program gives them the chance to be in the know and become more comfortable at school. 

We know that our seniors are excited to become mentors for the first time, but what do they want to pass on? Michelle Estrada, an enthusiastic senior, agreed to an interview. 

Michelle Estrada, our interviewed senior

Question: How do you feel about getting to mentor a freshman?

A: I’m personally very excited about mentoring freshmen because I remember my memories as a freshman.  I was completely lost and didn’t really know where to go in terms of my purpose as a student here at ACP.  I didn’t know where I belonged or where I fit it, so having a mentor helped me down the path of success. 

This is something we all felt when we arrived at our new school, but the seniors want the freshmen to feel welcome and ready to take on the academic challenge that ACP presents.  Finding out where you belong is sometimes a hard search, but it doesn’t have to be. Our school is full of people more than ready to be your friend. We want all to belong here-to feel loved.   

Question: What do you want to teach the incoming freshmen about this school?

Senior talking with an early freshman.

A: I want to teach them that they can make what they want of this school.  No matter what their classes are or the teachers they get, it’s really about what they make it, the effort they put in, and the friends they make-the people they surround themselves with.  

How much better would our world be if we all heard, believed, and lived that advice?  Michelle is just one of the wonderful seniors celebrating the new freshmen and leading them in their first year of high school.  We hope that the freshmen and seniors alike will live with the mindset that the world is for the taking with effort and hard work!