Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

Don’t Know What to Do Over Spring Break? Here Are a Couple of Ideas

Back to Article
Back to Article

As the cold weather slowly begins to withdraw and the sunny March days arrive, the third quarter finishes and school closes down for two and a half weeks of spring break. During this well desired time, most students find themselves not knowing what to do with all the free time that they have. That’s why, on the behalf of the newspaper team, I’ve composed a fun little list of cheap, easy, and amusing activities to do over the next couple of weeks.

Hike Camelback Mountain in Phoenix

The Cholla and Echo Canyon trails are some of the most popular hiking trails in Arizona. Camelback Mountain, situated in between Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, rises to an elevation of 2,704 feet and is a popular tourist destination for many newcomers. Even if you are an Arizona native, reaching the top of the mountain gives you a view of the Valley you’ve never seen before. To find out more, check out climbcamelback.com

Sedona, Arizona (photo courtesy of visitsedona.com).

• Take a day trip up to Sedona

A “geological wonderland”, the beautiful red rocks of Sedona never get old. Named the Most Beautiful Place in America by USA Weekend, Sedona has a lot to offer: 1.8 million acres of National Forest, hiking and biking trails, historic towns, spa centers, pristine restaurants, jeep tours, flawless golf courses, Slide Rock State Park, and Oak Creek Canyon. (See visitsedona.com for more information).

Attend the Ostrich Festival

This year marks the 31st annual Ostrich Festival held in Chandler from March 8th until March 10th. Located at Tumbleweed Park, the festival has a multitude of rides and attractions, which of course include ostriches. The Ostrich Festival can be a lot of fun, especially with your friends or siblings.

Take a trip down to Kartchner Caverns

Kartchner Caverns (photo courtesy of Southern Arizona Guide).

Known as one of the most majestic places in Arizona, Kartchner Caverns is a living cave located in southern Arizona, about an hour drive from Tucson. Personally, visiting this place leaves me in awe each time. The tours are about half a mile long each, and you get to learn about the different rock formations and the history behind the discovery of the cave in the seventies. March is a perfect time to visit the caves because both the Big Room and the Rotunda/Throne Room are open to the public and the weather won’t leave you sweating.

Have brunch with your friends

Nothing is as simple as having lunch with your closest friends when school isn’t in session. Take the time to relax and catch up with one another before the hectic fourth quarter appears.  Mrs. Patterson highly recommends Morning Glory Cafe, located at The Farm at South Mountain.  Visit https://www.thefarmatsouthmountain.com/morning-glory-patio/ to find out more.

Have a movie night

Movie nights tend to be a lot of fun. Invite your friends over for the night, rent some movies out, and eat a lot of junk food while having a great time.

A Popular Attraction: the Renaissance Festival Jousting show (photo courtesy of arizona.renfestinfo.com).

Go see the Renaissance Festival

The Renaissance Festival only comes once a year for a couple of weeks in February and March and is a must see. Based off of the Renaissance, this medieval-inspired fair includes many eye-stopping attractions and shows, such as the honking and spectacular jousting performances. The only down side to the festival is how far away it is (past Apache Junction), but despite this is a perfect way to spend the day.

Hopefully this helps and gives ideas to at least some of you. The newspaper team wishes you a fun and relaxed spring break!

• Don’t Know What to Do Over Spring Break? Here Are a Couple of Ideas

Campus Life

ACP’s Annual High School Awards Night

Campus Life

Annual Faculty Golfing Outing

Campus Life

Class of 2019 Commencement Ceremony Approaches

Campus Life

Mrs. Dalton Receives the Outstanding FAFSA Performance Award

Campus Life

Literary Magazine Moves Online

Campus Life

Connor Dosmann Competes with the Champions

Campus Life

JR High Math Club Named 2019 Champs at Competition

Campus Life

Last Friday’s Eight Grade Formal

Campus Life

How to Survive the AP Exams

Campus Life

Teacher Appreciation Week Contest