A Spectacular Opportunity for ACP’s Juniors

An amazing opportunity has come up for ACP’s juniors to take part in this summer. Officially known as the Chandler-Tullamore Student Ambassador Program, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is allowing students in their junior year in high school to take a trip to Tullamore, Ireland, Chandler’s sister city, and serve as Youth Ambassadors for the City of Chandler.

Tullamore, Ireland

Chandler students will get to live with a host family for 10 days and will fully experience the Irish culture while exploring Tullamore. After the 10 days are up, the Chandler students will return to Arizona with the Tullamore students. The Irish students will get to experience Chandler in the same way the Chandler students get to experience Tullamore.

If you’re confused as to what a sister city is, like three-fourths of our newspaper class, it’s pretty easy to understand. A sister city is a city that is linked to another city purely for the purpose of cultural exchange. Tullamore, located in the midlands of Ireland, is Chandler’s sister city. Tullamore was the host of the 2005 World Sheep Dog Trials and won gold metal in the National Tidy Town Awards in 2015.

Charleville Castle in Tullamore

Home to one of Ireland’s most famous gothic structures, Charleville Castle, and an ancient oak tree, Tullamore is an exciting destination for students to explore and the perfect place to immerse yourself in the Irish culture.

Again, the program is only open to juniors (2018-2019 school year) who are Chandler residents. Those chosen to go will leave during the summer of 2019 for Ireland, and airfare must be payed by the student. Check out chandlerazsistercities.org for more information or to apply.

The Chandler-Tullamore Student Ambassador Program is a great way for students to interact with students from other countries and to discover the wonders of a country other than their own. Despite seeming so different, Chandler and Tullamore might end up having more in common than one would expect. Apply for your chance of a lifetime today!