Important Senior Documents

Important Senior Documents

As a freshman, I had the ability to see what the last few years of high school were like through my older brother’s actions. I was lucky enough to know some inside information about what I would need to do in the near future in order to graduate from ACP. When the time came around that I was a senior, I was prepared for what was ahead, but not everyone else was. Many people may be unaware that when a person turns 18, they have the legal right to make their own decisions, and this may cause worry for parents who are guiding their children in both the college application process and in life in general.

Knights, when students turn 18, and those students still wants to give their parents peace of mind in knowing that their parents can be apart of their health care decisions, this article is for you.

Chandler Schools Boosters is partnering with Attorney Francisco Sirvent (pictured left), at the Keystone Law Firm, and is offering a workshop to help parents secure two legal documents that will allow them to be a part of their child’s decisions, more specifically their health care decisions. There is a small fee of $35 per student. This workshop will provide parents with two documents: a Healthcare Power of Attorney, and a HIPAA Authorization. Many parents want to seek these documents in the event that their child is hurt while away at college. Without these documents, the child’s parents have no legal right to any private information regarding their child’s situation, meaning the hospital or physician their child is at can not contact them. The purpose of these two documents is to allow parents of a child, who is 18 or older, to receive medical information and make health care decisions for their child.

Now you may be wondering, why should my family and I bother with this workshop? Well, official documents like these can cost up to $495 when professionally prepared by a law firm, but this workshop is a mere $35 per student and will educate parents on the Arizona laws and attorney powers. Also, Keystone will archive and file these documents with any state, so they can be accessed anywhere online. What a steal!

In order to participate in this workshop, there are a few requirements. The child, of whom the paperwork is being made for, must be 17 1/2 years of age and an Arizona graduating senior in May 2019, and the parents and student must attend the two-hour event. This event will be held on February 15 at ACP-Erie.

Knights, this is a great opportunity for parents to stay connected to their children as they go off to college and a great way for parents to make sure their child is safe. This event is a great idea that all should consider.

Featured Image- https://www.eventbrite.com/e/legal-documents-for-graduating-chandler-seniors-parent-workshop-chandler-hs-tickets-54304372841