Academic All-Star of the Week

Student athletes have the best of both worlds. While participating in a sport, a student athlete is exposed to a family like no other, along with having the ability to build a relationship with his or her classmates. Despite these perks, a student athlete is often under a lot of stress. Personally,  while I was apart of the Varsity Swim and Dive team, I found it difficult to balance all aspects of my life. It wasn’t until my senior year when I finally figured out how to approach my needs and wants while in season. Many student athletes may not have this problem, or they may just have a better time balancing all their needs. One of these outstanding student athletes is our very own Melanie Hass (12).

Melanie Hass, pictured left, is a current senior at ACP and was awarded the AZ Central Sports Academic Award of the week. This award is a weekly award that highlights athletes who show an outstanding effort in school while still balancing the challenges sports offer. Melanie is a perfect example of this. During the swim and dive season, Melanie was a captain of he Men’s and Women’s combined Swim and Dive Team, which had a total of 48 swimmers, and was also an honorable mention for the CUSD’s All-City team. Furthermore, Melanie was awarded the Most Valuable Swimmer on her team. She accomplished all this while suffering from a shoulder injury.

Moreover, Melanie has an exceptional GPA, has “been a member of National Honors Society for four years, serves as the Arizona College Prep chapter secretary, and is a member of Key Club International”.  She also volunteers in her spare time at organizations such as St. Mary’s Food Bank and Feed My Starving Children.

Knights.  This is a fantastic award Melanie earned! Make sure to congratulate her on all her accomplishments when you see her in the halls.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/awards-athletes/2018/08/30/azcentral-sports-awards-academic-all-star-week-2018-19/1150474002/